"Muar" Top 5 Page for this destination Muar by mansionion
Muar Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 190 photos
The town of Muar is located in the district of Muar in the state of Johor. It is located at the estuary of the Muar River where it meets the Straits of Malacca. The name Muar is coined from the Malay word "muara" which means river mouth/estuary in reference to where the town is located.
When Johor was under the reign of the Emperor Abu Bakar (Sultan Abu Bakar - the father of modern Johor), the district of Muar was recognised as a state in the Johor Empire and the town of Muar as its district capital. The town was officially known as Bandar Maharani (Empress Town) then, as the Emperor dedicated the town as a gift to his Empress.
Befitting its status as a royal town, development started to take place in Muar. Goverment offices, buildings and royal retreat palace were build here, mostly with influence of British architecture that become the town's major attractions nowadays. Hence, its no doubt that the town most picturesque area is around the river mouth itself where the its town park, old colonial and government buildings as well as its most prominent landmark - Masjid Sultan Ibrahim - are located.
Muar is famous for its Mee Bandung and Restaurant Baridah has a reputaion for serving the best Mee Bandung in town. The... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Muar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "M U A R"
- "COLOURED STREETS OF MUAR"
- "Bokman Begins"
- "Short getaway trip to Muar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Muar
- Hotels in Muar
- Transportation in Muar
- Nightlife in Muar
- Restaurants in Muar
- Shopping in Muar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Muar
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Muar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Muar
Photos in MuarSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue