"Padang" Top 5 Page for this destination Padang by mansionion
Padang Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 166 photos
Mention Padang and what comes to mind is definitely its famous spicy local food - Nasi Padang or Makanan Padang (Padang food). Eventhough this is quite misleading since "Padang Food" is actually referring to the cuisine of the local Minangkabau people, it is commonly called Padang cuisine since Padang is the largest city of the West Sumatra region - the land of the Minangkabau. However, there's more to Padang then its spicy food.
Historically, Padang has been an important trade centre since the 16th century when pepper was cultivated here and traded with traders from India, Portugal and the Netherlands. The lucrative spice trade and other local produce resulted in Padang being colonialised by the Dutch and British later on. During WW2, it was occupied by the Japanese before later on together with regions in Sumatra became part of the independant Indonesian Republic.
The name Padang literally means "field" which is derived from its location - it is located on the coastal plain between the Indian Ocean and the Bukit Barisan mountains at the mouth of the Padang River. Padang's Teluk Bayur harbor is said to be the largest and busiest harbor on the West Coast of Sumatra. Hence, it is not suprising that Padang is a bustling port city and an important transport hub for journey to Indonesian islands on the Indian Ocean and the Minangkabau highland.
Modern day Padang, it is the capital and largest city of the West Sumatra region. It is a suprisingly clean city with a newly open modern airport outside of the city centre. Padang city centre is characterised with its traditional architecture - the "buffalo horn" roofs which symbolising the Minangkabau culture and architecture. There are also some well preserved colonial architecture in and around the city.
Apart from being the centre of administration and culture, Padang is also the educational centre where few universities are located. It is the seat of the Andalas University, the oldest university in Sumatra and the first state university outside of Java.
- In a nutshell:More than just nasi padang - it's the birthplace of Minang's culture.
If you are flying into Padang, take a peek on the view of the Indian Ocean when the plane is approaching Padang. The... more travel advice
I took Garuda Indonesia from Jakarta to Padang. Overall, I am satisfied with the flight - no delay and good in flight... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Padang Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Padang...Where Buffalo-Horn-Shaped Roofs Locate"
- "Padang - Land of Minang"
- "Padang Bukit Tinggi"
- "padang, west sumatra"
- "PADANG the Capital City of WEST SUMATRA"
- "The land of Minangkabau"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Padang
- Hotels in Padang
- Transportation in Padang
- Nightlife in Padang
- Restaurants in Padang
- Shopping in Padang
- Warnings and Dangers in Padang
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Padang
- 12 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Padang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Padang
Photos in PadangSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (73)
Latest Padang hotel reviews
- Novotel Bukittinggi
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Immanuel II
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 27, 2013
- Maranatha Homestay
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 23, 2009
- Hotel Bumi Minang
- 1 Review & Opinion
- New Sikuai Island Resort
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 3, 2013
- Ambacang Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion