"Pekanbaru" Pekanbaru by mansionion
Pekanbaru Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 67 photos
Pekanbaru - literally means New Town or New Market - is the capital town of the Riau province in Central Sumatra, Indonesia.
Being the provincial capital, Pekanbaru is also the bigest town in the Riau province. The Sultan Syarif Kasim II airport in Pekanbaru is the province's main airport that serves flights to and from Pekanbaru, connecting the town and Riau province with other parts of Indonesia as well as major cities in the region. Pekanbaru is also a major gateway into Indonesia from Singapore which is 40 minutes away by air.
The discovery of oil in Riau in 1939 has made Pekanbaru a booming town. Undoubtedly, oil is the driving force behind the development of Pekanbaru and Riau with the presence of major world oil companies such as Chevron/Caltex and many others in the province. The creation of SIJORI (Singapore-Johor-Riau) growth triangle in the 1990s is set to develop Pekanbaru further with co-operation from the three neighbouring countries.
- Pros:The airport looks impressive :)
- Cons:I was there for just an hour in transit :(
- In a nutshell:Will try to come again to discover more of Pekanbaru
I took Garuda Airlines from Padang to Pekanbaru (transit) before continuing my journey to Singapore. Overall, I am... more travel advice
mansionion's Related Pages
Pekanbaru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riau - Not Just Rich With Oil......"
- "A Province yet to be Discovered"
- "Pekanbaru city"
- "RIAU PROVINCE'S CAPITAL"
- "Heading from Pekanbaru to Batam Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pekanbaru
- Hotels in Pekanbaru
- Transportation in Pekanbaru
- Nightlife in Pekanbaru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pekanbaru
- 2 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (28)
Have you been to Pekanbaru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pekanbaru
Photos in PekanbaruSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Lumpur Intro, 81 reviews, 78 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Melaka Intro, 65 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuching Intro, 45 reviews, 64 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuala Terengganu Intro, 28 reviews, 51 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Genting Intro, 33 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mersing Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos
- Bako National Park Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Taiping Intro, 14 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kota Baharu Intro, 12 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue