". . . ~ Helsinki ~ . . ." Helsinki by Marpessa
Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,727 reviews and 7,682 photos
In July 2005 I spent 8 days in Finland, 2 days in Tampere and 6 in Helsinki.
I immediately liked Helsinki, it's a beautiful city with a lot to offer any tourist. The people I met were very friendly and helpful, especially since I knew none of the Finnish language. I was impressed by Finland as a whole, an incredible country where 70% of it is forests and 10% lakes. Its history is something I was greatly interested in as well, and during my trip I was able to learn more about the emergence of the Finnish national culture and identity since it became a republic in 1917.
But for those not really interested in the historical side of Helsinki, there is still plenty going on that will interest you. There are great places to shop, parks in the city, national parks nearby, churches, museums and galleries. Not to mention that the city is right on the Baltic Sea offering great views of land and water.
On my next trip back to Europe I will definitely be returning to Helsinki, and hopefully see more of Finland as well. There are a few things I missed out on doing in Helsinki (like the beer tram John) when I was there, and some places in the surrounding area which are of historical significance and that I'd love to go and explore.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy my page on Helsinki!
- In a nutshell:A jewel on the Baltic Sea
If you arrive in Helsinki and have no idea where to go and what to do (as you have all of a sudden forgotten all the... more travel advice
Whenever I am in a country where english is not the main language (and since english is the only language I can speak... more travel advice
Marpessa's Related Pages
Helsinki Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home"
- "Helsinki - bears, skaters and religion"
- "19/1 Just returned from Helsinki"
- "Where Slavic charm & Nordic simplicity meet"
- "Helsinki at your service"
- "Helsinki, this is where I come from"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Helsinki
- Hotels in Helsinki
- Transportation in Helsinki
- Nightlife in Helsinki
- Restaurants in Helsinki
- Shopping in Helsinki
- Warnings and Dangers in Helsinki
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Helsinki
- 23 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Helsinki?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Helsinki
- updated a Helsinki Travel Page ". . . ~ Helsinki ~ . . ."
- Posted in Travel Honolulu Forum "Re: International Airport -..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "A few good shops here"
- Wrote a Review Helsinki City Tourist & Convention Bureau in Helsinki Favorites
- Commented on one of Henrik_rrb's Helsinki travel pages
Photos in HelsinkiSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 39 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 12 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues