". . . ~ Helsinki ~ . . ." Helsinki by Marpessa

Helsinki Travel Guide: 3,705 reviews and 7,549 photos

In July 2005 I spent 8 days in Finland, 2 days in Tampere and 6 in Helsinki.

I immediately liked Helsinki, it's a beautiful city with a lot to offer any tourist. The people I met were very friendly and helpful, especially since I knew none of the Finnish language. I was impressed by Finland as a whole, an incredible country where 70% of it is forests and 10% lakes. Its history is something I was greatly interested in as well, and during my trip I was able to learn more about the emergence of the Finnish national culture and identity since it became a republic in 1917.

But for those not really interested in the historical side of Helsinki, there is still plenty going on that will interest you. There are great places to shop, parks in the city, national parks nearby, churches, museums and galleries. Not to mention that the city is right on the Baltic Sea offering great views of land and water.

On my next trip back to Europe I will definitely be returning to Helsinki, and hopefully see more of Finland as well. There are a few things I missed out on doing in Helsinki (like the beer tram John) when I was there, and some places in the surrounding area which are of historical significance and that I'd love to go and explore.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my page on Helsinki!

• In a nutshell:A jewel on the Baltic Sea
  • Last visit to Helsinki: Jul 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 22, 2007

• Elena77's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Great tips, thanks for sharing! I've not been to Helsinki... yet. It looks like a place very much worth visiting. Cheers, Elena

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 11:25 AM

Hi, Great page! Especially like your photos of the Lutheran Cathedral on a bright, sunny day (it rained while I was there). Also, very thorough tips! Best regards from New Jersey, Bill

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2007 at 9:32 AM

Nice page. Maybe I'll spend some days there soon. Ciao!

• tpk2's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2006 at 2:50 AM

Impressive Helsinki page! Made me wonder if I should visit the capital of my native country once again as a tourist ;)

• GandalfOnTour's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 2:29 AM

Brilliant page and great pics. Definitely on my list!!

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2006 at 8:30 PM

Super Helsinki page.

• cloudberry's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2006 at 3:29 AM

Hmmm, no wonder that you didn't like the snacks. Even my 1-year-old daughter doesn't like them any more. They are mostly for babies under 1 year old (no salt, no fat). BTW, nowadays you get them also with vanilla flavour ;P Take care Tarja :)

• Sininen's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2005 at 12:28 AM

Hi there! I really enjoyed your Helsinki and Tampere pages and am glad that you had good time in my country. Just one correction: Finland became independent in 1917 not 1919! Greetings from Finland, Sini

• Aleyd's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2005 at 7:27 PM

Am really enjoying all your pages. Aleyd :-)

• ZenLady34's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2005 at 11:33 PM

Absolutely great Helsinki page!

Marpessa

“Brave New World”

Badges & Stats in Helsinki

Have you been to Helsinki?

Latest Activity in Helsinki