"A Hilly Small Town" Larvik by Marpessa

Larvik Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 69 photos

Lovely Larvik

I have now been to Larvik three times, I come here every time I come to Europe. And I hope to go there again in a few weeks time. There isn't any major tourist sites here, a few things to see, but not necessarily anything to go out of your way for.

I come here so often because one of my best friends live here. We met for the first time in 2004. We met because his mother (Norwegian) and my mother (Australian) were both working in Germany in the early 1970s. They met each other became friends and after both going their seperate ways still kept in contact writing letters. Then when I took my first trip, I met up overseas with my parents and we went to Norway to see my mums old friend... and I met her sons... and we just clicked, and now we write to each other (although via internet, not letters ;) ), and I always make time to see him and his family when I am in Europe.

* * * * *

As you can see (sort of) from the picture above, Larvik is spread out on many hills, but it is a very nice place to walk around - so don't let those hills deter you! It is right on the coast and there is an expansive national park, a good combination of the elements.

Larvik's Geography

Larvik is toward the south of Norway in the Vestfold region, it takes 2 hours to get there by train from Oslo. There is also an airport in a nearby town Sandefjord (25km North-East of Larvik) which is one of the airports that Ryanair operate from (budget airline) ~ The airport is called Oslo Torp (Oslo South) - but it's still about 2 hrs south of Oslo like Larvik. Also from Sandefjord you can catch the ferry over to Strömstad in Sweden. There are also ferries between Larvik and Denmark-

For more information on Larvik, go to: www.visitlarvik.no (The site is in Norsk, English and Deutsch)

2007

This time I spent a bit more time walking around. Larvik is dead quiet on a Sunday afternoon, but it's nice as it almost gives you the streets to yourself. I have only been here during the summer/warmer months, but have been told that during winter it is a place that will get packed with snow. Looking forward to seeing that.

Also in the travelogues below there is one on Stavern a town just near Larvik. Just a few photos as it can be a quick trip from Larvik if you want to see more of the area.

• Pros:Small town, friendly people
  • Cons:waterfront is a bit industrial, but otherwise very nice
  • Last visit to Larvik: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2007

• Oct 7, 2005 at 4:45 PM

Hehe, well Vat-i-canet sux bigtime + to mutch bad stuff going on there :) hehe how u doing cassie? lovely page u goth, speacialy i like that u included sirius and dvd :D Stian :D

• iver's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2004 at 1:47 PM

hehe marpessa,, your moms friend didnt take you to VAT-I-CANET?? only strip joint in miles distance:P)

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 5:55 AM

Another great page. I love your tips which are very helpful. Larvik looks like a place I'd love to visit-today! :)

• daarth's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 4:02 AM

Colin Archer - one of my heros :-)

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 6:43 AM

Good to read you had a good time despite the weather! Coming back to see more of your pics after you have put them on

Marpessa