"*L I N K Ö P I N G*" Top 5 Page for this destination Linköping by Marpessa

Linköping Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 176 photos

In mid-August 2007 I moved to Linköping (from Australia) for a year. I was in Linköping as a student attending Linköpings universitet and undertook a masters program on Scandinavian history and completed a basic Swedish language class.

This page has tips for tourists and travellers alike, but also has information for people starting university here. This is because when I was looking for information before I came here, I didn't find that much to help me out (maybe I was looking in the wrong places, I don't know). So some tips may be a little more student orientated, but I will point that out in the tip anyway.

Linköping is found about 200km south-west from Stockholm. It has a population of approx. 100,000 people.

It is a beautiful little city, with barn shaped houses, cobled streets in the city centre, colourful buildings, forests and a lake (Roxen) nearby as well. It is a charming place both in summer and in winter.

One thing I noticed on my first day here as well is that it has a high number of pizza restaurants... it seems pizzerias are the equivalent of an Australian pub here :).

Another thing I noticed, that is quite different to Australia, but seems very common in the Nordic countries and other areas of Europe... is the amount of people riding their bikes!

Just look at this photo taken at the train station - and on the opposite side there were just as many. In the end I did not buy a bike... however for the last three months I lived here I borrowed one of my friends (as he had somehow ended up with two). I highly recommend getting a bike if you come here to study.

• Last visit to Linköping: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2010

• OH_DK's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2008 at 12:21 AM

Nice Linköping page and tips - you made me curious about what was written on that "Rökstenen" Ove from Roskilde (Danish sistercity of Linköping)

• SapineKuu's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM

Getting a bike would be good but finding it again could be problematic;)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM

never heard of your hometown, sorry. but thanks for sharing.

• Pieter11's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Hi there! Good start of your Lin"sh"öping-page! I'm curious to see more about your hometown! Up to the TOP-5 I say!

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2007 at 5:48 AM

Just wanted to say Hi and a lot of greetings from rainy Warsaw;)

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2007 at 9:28 PM

You sure chose a beautiful city to study. Sure you want to leave after a year is up? Thanks for posting the nice photos and tips. Btw, the Swedish version of 7-11 looks alot nicer than 7-11 to me.

Marpessa Used To Live Here!

Marpessa

“Brave New World”

Badges & Stats in Linköping

Have you been to Linköping?

Latest Activity in Linköping