"Geelong - My Home Town... er, City." Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong by Marpessa
Geelong Travel Guide: 319 reviews and 670 photos
I was born in Geelong, I live in Geelong and I love Geelong.
One of the best days to be in Geelong is on Australia Day (26th of January). The Waterfront comes alive, with show rides, entertainment, outdoor movies and everyone laughing (except for the mother who gave her kid too many lollies and now she's afraid the child will throw up on one of the rides).
Geelong also has more than that to offer. To name a few places there is also; the botanical gardens, GPAC (Geelong Performing Arts Centre), Skilled Stadium (AFL - home of the Geelong Cats), and the Barwon River (walk along one of the tracks, or ride!) - which often hold rowing regatta's.
One of my favourite places to visit is just outside of Geelong near Lara (last exit off the highway if you're going Melbourne to Geelong) it is called the 'You Yangs'. It is an Aboriginal name that means 'mountain surrounded by flat plains', as there is no lead up or hills near the You Yangs. This is what us Aussies call 'the bush'. It's beautiful, often serene, and native Australian animals, such as kangaroos, koalas and echidnas, can be found there walking around in their natural habitat. (although should note that this is not a guarantee that you will see them). It's the perfect place for a BBQ and some bush cricket or footy.
So since one of my favourite places is the bush - here's a little song - although I really can only remember the first verse:
Smoke curls up around the old gum tree trunks
Silver moon makes the wet trees glisten
Fire burns brightly while we sit around and listen
To the sounds of a cool bush night.
"The first known sighting of the Geelong region by Europeans occurred in December 1800 when Lt. James Grant sailed through Bass Strait from the west in the coastal exploration brig Lady Nelson.
Next came the discovery and exploration of Port Phillip Bay, from January to March 1802, when the Lady Nelson under Lt John Murray R.N entered it from Sydney."
-Norman Houghton, The Story of Geelong-
There is still some debate as to who 'found' Australia (which European colonialists) - the English, Dutch, Portugese or Spanish? There is a ship that was/is shipwrecked near Warrnambool, (the Mahogany Ship) which is said to pre-date English settlement of this area (southern part of the state of Victoria) - this ship is hinted to be of either Portugese or Spanish origin.
However, the English were the first to transport people en mass to Australia. The First Fleet (official name of the 11 ships to first sail to Australia with convicts) left Portsmouth, England on the 13th of May 1778, the ships carried 1,400 people - 780 of them were convicts and it took them 8 months to reach the east coast of Australia.
- Pros:Waterfront (beautiful), can get from one side of Geelong to the other in about 35 mins, it's a City but has the feeling of a town.
- Cons:Catching a bus anywhere from 3.30 - 4.30pm (school kids!)
- In a nutshell:A city moving at a relaxed pace
The Black Sheep Cafe is part of the Wool Museum, but its entrance is just around the corner (on Brougham Street). The... more travel advice
Geelong to the Great Ocean Road One part of living in Victoria that I love is our beaches, and the history of those... more travel advice
- See All Clothing
- See All Main Shopping Centre in Town Pt. 1
- See All Public Holidays
- See All "Traditional Irish"
- See All Travel by Train
- See All The Geelong Show
Marpessa's Related Pages
Geelong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Geelong - My Home Town... er, City."
- "Sweetberry's "Geelong Page""
- "Geelong - The Jewel of a City on Corio Bay"
- "Geelong & Great Ocean Road, Victoria"
- "Gateway to the Great Ocean Road"
- "Keeweechic's Geelong, Victoria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geelong
- Hotels in Geelong
- Transportation in Geelong
- Nightlife in Geelong
- Restaurants in Geelong
- Shopping in Geelong
- Warnings and Dangers in Geelong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geelong
- 61 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 52 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Geelong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geelong
Photos in GeelongSee All Photos (88)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Geelong Intro, 61 reviews, 93 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 39 reviews, 94 photos, 4 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 33 reviews, 82 photos, 5 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Helsinki Intro, 23 reviews, 56 photos, 3 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 18 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 12 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 19 reviews, 48 photos, 5 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 19 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues