"A Weekend in Sydney" Sydney by Marpessa

Sydney Travel Guide: 5,798 reviews and 13,509 photos

I arrived on a Friday afternoon and left on a Monday morning. It was my first holiday by myself and it was absolutely awesome. Sydney is a beautiful city and very multi-cultural. I spent most of my time seeing the city by foot and just wandering around. I had a map on me, but just let my feet be my guide - I was very tired by the end of the weekend, but very happy, Sydney is an amazing city!

Don't miss!: Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, Taronga Zoo (get your picture taken with a giraffe or koala), a ferry ride in the harbour, Circular Quay, The Rocks, the Botanical Gardens, the AMP Tower, Hyde Park and ANZAC Memorial.

Hyde Park

Hyde Park is a beautiful Park located in central Sydney. Occasionally you might see people playing chess on a giant chess board, or a horse drawn carriage with a newlywed couple.

It is a nice clean park (mainly clean - bit of rubbish here and there) and a great place to just chill out and relax for a while as the city around you moves at full speed.

ANZAC (Australian New Zealand Army Corps) Memorial is in Hyde Park. The ANZACs were/are people who fought in WWI and WWII, they are also fondly refered to as 'diggers' and are the origin for the mythology of the Australian 'larakin'.

• Pros:Circular Quay, The Rocks, Botanical Gardens
  • Cons:Rubbish in some areas
  • In a nutshell:You need more than a weekend!
  • Last visit to Sydney: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 27, 2004

• Wacca's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 8:26 AM

Hi Marpessa Cassie! As a Cass, and from Sydn, you make me so homesick, but love your pics and honest comments-they are so true!! I have been to Geelong many times on business, and it is one of my favourite places. Now I live in Kunming China.

• babettu's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 10:19 PM

Good info ! ! visiting Sydney in December.

• filipdebont's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 7:16 AM

Great tips - I am looking forward to visit Sydney within a few months (July 2006)

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 8:33 PM

Cassie, Gr8 tips and update for me. My last trips there when Opera House under construction! Has reputed perfect acoustics in the several rooms. Up to now I thought my credit cards were only plastic $$! lol Doug

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 1:39 AM

You've got to love Sydney...such a 'walkable' place! Are Liverpool still in the Champions League?;) Happy travels, Blu

• 850prc's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2005 at 8:14 PM

A whole new meaning for plastic money. : ) Nice page, Cassie. My family and I leave on June 15 for Australia. Looking forward to the visit very much.

• jaka63's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2004 at 5:41 PM

Hi Cassie, you have a wonderful tips....have a great day...liverpool still Champion...Cheers...:-))

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2004 at 5:39 AM

Sydney is great, isn't it. So pleased you can still feed the giraffes at the zoo. Lovely page.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2004 at 11:47 PM

Excellent intro & gr8 tips, well written, helpful & easy to read. I especially the Dept. of Lands tip. There are a lot more of these gems around the city than people realise. I guess that's true of most places.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2004 at 1:38 AM

you write really great tips, they are a pleasure to read, l really enjoyed your page, thank you

Marpessa