"Orkney" Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney by lnalba
Orkney Travel Guide: 237 reviews and 502 photos
Orkney for me was incredibly peaceful and calm with a fantastic past. It can be beautiful, but also harsh in the colder months.
It is an archaeologist's and historian's delight, as there are no shortages of prehistoric monuments, viking ruins and other traces of those who have been here before us.
It is spread over several islands, all of which can be reached by ferries - some quite small ROROs. As you travel, you are likely to see seals, many different seabirds and perhaps if you are lucky you will see a whale or two.
It doesn't take long to travel on the islands, even the mainland. You are no more than an hour from any point on the mainland, but there is so much to see and do, that you will find that your holiday will probably not be long enough!
Visit my page on Hoy
Visit my Mine Howe page! Mine Howe
Mine Howe is surrounded by mystery and as yet, totally unique. It may be a tomb, or a doorway to the underworld. Whatever it is, it's a feat of prehistoric engineering.
Visit my Skara Brae page! Skara Brae
Skara Brae is a World Heritage Site, and is regarded as the "best preserved neolithic village in northern Europe".
- Pros:Absolutely beautiful...full to bursting with archaeology and art...peaceful and unique
- Cons:A lot of travelling needed to get there, a lot of travelling on ferrys to get to different islands.
- In a nutshell:A fascinating place, well worth a visit, plenty to see and do, a real getaway.
The Italian Chapel is one of Orkney's most popular places to visit. It sits on the island of Lambholm, easily reached... more travel advice
This visitor centre, in Orphir, tells the story of Orkney's Norse history, as recorded in the Orkneyinga Saga. It was... more travel advice
lnalba's Related Pages
Orkney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magical Orkney - Sea, Sky, Fire, Stone .."
- "The Orkney Islands."
- "Old Cultures and wonderful nature"
- "The Orkney Islands, a place to feel"
- "Beautiful Orkney"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orkney
- Hotels in Orkney
- Transportation in Orkney
- Nightlife in Orkney
- Restaurants in Orkney
- Shopping in Orkney
- Warnings and Dangers in Orkney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Orkney
- 9 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Orkney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orkney
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aberdeen Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Geneva Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Annapolis Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Ullapool Intro, 3 photos