"Martigny" Martigny-Ville by lnalba
Martigny-Ville Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos
This is a photo of the town in which I was living for the time I was in Switzerland. The river you can see is a tributary to the Rhone, which runs nearby.
Martingy is quite a large town, and is the base for tourist trains running to both Chamonix for Mont Blanc and for the St. Bernard Pass.
It has a population of around 15,000, and has been a major commercial centre since Roman times.
It's Roman inhabitants used this valley as a route to the west. As a result, there are Roman ruins here, as well as a well preserved amphitheatre.
Here you can visit the famous Fondation Pierre Gianadda museum, which is regularly host to major temporary exhibitions. The time I was there, Renoir's "Luncheon of the Boating Party" was on display. Also is an exhibition of Leonardo da Vinci's inventions, both on paper and working models, which is fascinating and well worth a visit.
lnalba's Related Pages
Martigny-Ville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Martigny at the crossroads"
- "Martigny --- In the Rhone Valley"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Martigny-Ville
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Martigny-Ville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Martigny-Ville
Photos in Martigny-VilleSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aberdeen Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Geneva Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Annapolis Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Ullapool Intro, 3 photos