"Zermatt and the Matterhorn" Zermatt by lnalba
Zermatt Travel Guide: 567 reviews and 1,615 photos
The Matterhorn is a spectacular mountain, which can be reached from the village of Zermatt.
You can buy a ticket which allows you to travel in several cable cars, up to the very top of the "Klein Matterhorn", a nearby mountain, where you can get a wonderful view of the Matterhorn, go skiing or snowboarding, and even go inside a glacier!
You can also take another series of cable cars to Schwarzsee, which takes you very close to the mountain.
It wasn't too cold in September - about 14 degrees centigrade. Obviously it gets colder the higher up you go, as the Klein Matterhorn is about minus 3 degrees. Inside the glacier - well, it's just like being inside your own home freezer! I managed with a jumper and jeans.
Down in Zermatt, it got to about 26 degrees, though it was only 16 in the morning. So bear in mind that warm clothing will be needed in some areas, you will need to be able to carry it as it gets warmer through the day.
Check out my travelog about the Klein Matterhorn and it's Glacier "palace"!
The Klein Matterhorn and Glacier Palace
- Pros:An absolute must-see, beautiful in all seasons, very tourist friendly, and no cars to pollute the place!
- Cons:Can be expensive, but the whole of Switzerland is like that!
- In a nutshell:One of these places you must experience before you die.
lnalba's Related Pages
Zermatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "See you there this Summer or Winter..."
- "Zermatt and the Majestic Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt - Gateway to the mighty Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt...Guardian of the Matterhorn"
- "Zermatt and the Mighty Matterhorn"
- "Matterhorn Collection"
- "Zermatt - The Matterhorn Experience"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zermatt
- Hotels in Zermatt
- Transportation in Zermatt
- Nightlife in Zermatt
- Restaurants in Zermatt
- Shopping in Zermatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Zermatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zermatt
- 0 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Zermatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zermatt
Photos in ZermattSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Orkney Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aberdeen Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Geneva Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Paris Intro, 2 reviews, 3 photos
- Annapolis Intro, 1 review, 4 photos
- Zermatt Intro, 4 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Chamonix-Mont-Blanc Intro, 1 review, 2 photos
- Ullapool Intro, 3 photos