"City of bright lights and kitsch!" Las Vegas by kit_mc
Las Vegas Travel Guide: 8,512 reviews and 17,575 photos
Las Vegas is so kitsch and tacky that you just have to love it! Driving down the highway from LA to Las Vegas, though the salt flats is quite a sight. And then you see Las Vegas shimmering in the distance, just as if it's been plonked in the middle of nowhere. Which is of course the case!
I only spent three days in Las Vegas but could easily have stayed longer. Wandering through the unreality of the differently themed hotels, staying in a relatively cheap but nevertheless luxurious hotel, just taking in the madness of the place!
You'd be hard pushed to run out of things to do, you can spend days just checking out the different hotels, from a Venice complete with gondolas (but happily no pigeons) and gambling, finding yourself gambling in New York, or looking at lions surrounded by slot machines. And then gamble on the slot machines. Or you can wander through the older part of town, with it's lower end gambling halls and infamous wedding chapels.
Or in warm months you can just hang out by the pool of your hotel. Oh, and gambling, did I mention the gambling?
Outside Las Vegas you can visit the Hoover Dam or if you've time on your hands and you're feeling adventurous, spend a day going as far south as the Grand Canyon.
- Pros:Glitzy, trashy, kitschy.
- Cons:Glitzy, trashy, kitschy
- In a nutshell:Just so uncultured, vile and tacky that you have to love it - total unreality!
For the sci fi fans out there, this is a must! As a closet trekkie, I was like a kid in a sweet shop in this place. It... more travel advice
kit_mc's Related Pages
Las Vegas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Las Vegas - Always Updating!"
- "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!"
- "A tourists view of Las Vegas"
- "Vegas - City with a sleeping disorder"
- "las vegas"
- "Viva Las Vegas"
- "Las Vegas: An Escape From Reality"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Las Vegas
- Hotels in Las Vegas
- Transportation in Las Vegas
- Nightlife in Las Vegas
- Restaurants in Las Vegas
- Shopping in Las Vegas
- Warnings and Dangers in Las Vegas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Las Vegas
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Las Vegas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Las Vegas
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Heathrow Hiccups"
- Commented on one of Jim_Eliason's Las Vegas travel pages
- Wrote a Review Resistance is futile... about Nightclubs in Las Vegas Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "City of bright lights and kitsch!"
- updated a Las Vegas Travel Page "City of bright lights and kitsch!"
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llanberis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fes Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodiam Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Artá Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos