"City of Souks and Skyscrapers" Dubai by kit_mc
Dubai Travel Guide: 3,629 reviews and 9,919 photos
So Dubai. When I said to some people that I was going to Dubai, a common response was why? Well, because I'd never been to the Middle East, because I'd never been to a none-English speaking country outside of Europe, because it's 33 degrees in November and there was a pool on the roof of the hotel! That's why!
And because I was intrigued by the mix of Western and Arabic, by a cosmopolitan city in the desert where only 22% of the inhabitants are actually Emerati. So here are a few pages to give you a taster!
Well, if it's nightlife that you're after, perhaps best not to arrive half way through Ramadan and a day after the President of the UAE has died... Luckily, it wasn't clubbing that had brought us to Dubai and we knew enough about Ramadan to be prepared for no drinking, smoking or eating in public during the daytime. Unfortunately the President's death we couldn't have anticipated, so the three days of mourning during which businesses were all closed, threatened to put a halt to the tourist activities.
That said, we managed to get a lot done in a little time, and the remaining day of mourning meant that we spent our first full day in the fabulous Wild Wadi Waterpark, after which things got more or less back to normal. Ramadan can be a really interesting time for Europeans to go because the nights really buzz as people come out to break fast and you get a real feel for the Arabic nature of the place.
So over the course of the 5 days or so that I was there, I - * saw the city from an open top doubledecker bus in 33+ degree heat, * rode on Abras (wooden commuter boats) across the Creek, * strolled through massive shopping malls, * hung out on the hotel's rooftop pool, * visited the Dubai museum, mosques and souks, * ate lots, * was driven at hair-raising speed over sand dunes on a desert 'safari' in an air-conditioned 4x4 ... and er.. rode a camel. Well, it had to be done!
I hope you enjoy my pages from Dubai!
- Pros:Guaranteed sun, great hotels, cool cityscapes and landscapes, where the Western influence is obvious but not as entirely all-pervading as at first sight.
- Cons:Not the cheapest place, terrifically hot.
Perhaps not a trip for the more ecologically friendly amongst us I'm afraid. This consists of being taken out into the... more travel advice
This place is so much fun!! Mainly you'll be surrounded non-locals and ex-pats. So don't expect a taste of local... more travel advice
kit_mc's Related Pages
Dubai Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DUBAI - A HOTCHPOTCH OF CULTURES"
- "Dynamic, ever-changing, friendly, exciting..."
- "Dubai...In A Fast Moving Phase"
- "Dubai Jewel of the Gulf"
- "Dubai is ......Dubai!"
- "A hot time in Dubai town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dubai
- Hotels in Dubai
- Transportation in Dubai
- Nightlife in Dubai
- Restaurants in Dubai
- Shopping in Dubai
- Warnings and Dangers in Dubai
- See All...
Explore the World
- Port Saint Lucie
- County Donegal
- Laguna Mandinga Grande Hotels
- Ascoli Piceno
- Kranjska Gora
- Telford Hotels
- Dirnismaning Hotels
- Prigen Hotels
- Prallsville Hotels
- Fukui-ken Hotels
- Departamento de Nariño
- Union Territory of Daman and Diu
- Provincia del Chubut
Badges & Stats in Dubai
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Dubai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dubai
Photos in DubaiSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llanberis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fes Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodiam Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Artá Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos