"Ooh, so quiet, so very quiet..." Top 5 Page for this destination Levoca by kit_mc
Levoca Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 160 photos
Levoca was an overnight stop from Bratislava to Kosice. We stayed here so that I could visit nearby Spis Castle and Spisska Kapitula.
We arrived in Levoca at twilight, after waiting far, far too long at Poprad bus station. A 10 minute walk up a hill with backpacks feeling slightly cold and miserable brought us to the main square and our hotel.
We searched around a bit for restaurants. Now this place isn't huge, and neither are the options!! But we found a decent enough place, ate decent fare, drank a few beers, a few wines, more wine, an Irish coffee and were ready for bed!
The next morning we had a wander round the square in daylight. Unfortunately it was a Monday, in winter, so everything that we wanted to see (well, the church, which apparently has the biggest altar ever!) was closed. Grr... This was becoming a familiar story!
Anyway, we walked around, took our photos, logged our memories, checked out of our hotel and on we trotted.
I had wanted to see both Levoca and Bardejov, and we did manage to see both places in Slovakia. I was pleased I had the comparison because I appreciated Bardejov even more.
I'm not sure that I'd recommend Levoca as a place to spend that much time. It's kind of cute, but very very small. We were totally out of season which led to the disappointing 'Closed' signs. Does no-one actually in Slovakia visit these places?!
A good reason to stay in Levoca is to give you good time the next day to spend a few hours in Spisske Podhradie and see the castle, which is amazing. It's an easy 10 - 15 minute bus ride there from Levoca on one of the frequent buses.
Or this would also make a good base for some of the hiking there is to be had in the area. Alternatively, if you don't get bored easily, this is a special place to just hang out and do as little as possible!
- In a nutshell:Good stopping off point before Spis Castle and Kosice
This magnificant castle, one of the largest in central Europe, truly looks like something out of a gothic horror film.... more travel advice
After strolling several times round the main square, we settled on this place. It looked a little more expensive, but... more travel advice
kit_mc's Related Pages
Levoca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ooh, so quiet, so very quiet..."
- "THE UNESCO LISTED CITY OF LEVOCA"
- "Levoca, a town surrounded by walls"
- "Small and easy Levoca"
- "The Renaissance Town of Levoca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Levoca
- Hotels in Levoca
- Transportation in Levoca
- Nightlife in Levoca
- Restaurants in Levoca
- Shopping in Levoca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Levoca
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Levoca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Levoca
Photos in LevocaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llanberis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fes Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodiam Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Artá Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos