"Ooh, so quiet, so very quiet..." Top 5 Page for this destination Levoca by kit_mc

Levoca Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 158 photos

Overnight stop.

Levoca was an overnight stop from Bratislava to Kosice. We stayed here so that I could visit nearby Spis Castle and Spisska Kapitula.

We arrived in Levoca at twilight, after waiting far, far too long at Poprad bus station. A 10 minute walk up a hill with backpacks feeling slightly cold and miserable brought us to the main square and our hotel.

We searched around a bit for restaurants. Now this place isn't huge, and neither are the options!! But we found a decent enough place, ate decent fare, drank a few beers, a few wines, more wine, an Irish coffee and were ready for bed!

Five minutes and a few photos and...

The next morning we had a wander round the square in daylight. Unfortunately it was a Monday, in winter, so everything that we wanted to see (well, the church, which apparently has the biggest altar ever!) was closed. Grr... This was becoming a familiar story!

Anyway, we walked around, took our photos, logged our memories, checked out of our hotel and on we trotted.

Stepping stone to Spis Castle

I had wanted to see both Levoca and Bardejov, and we did manage to see both places in Slovakia. I was pleased I had the comparison because I appreciated Bardejov even more.

I'm not sure that I'd recommend Levoca as a place to spend that much time. It's kind of cute, but very very small. We were totally out of season which led to the disappointing 'Closed' signs. Does no-one actually in Slovakia visit these places?!

A good reason to stay in Levoca is to give you good time the next day to spend a few hours in Spisske Podhradie and see the castle, which is amazing. It's an easy 10 - 15 minute bus ride there from Levoca on one of the frequent buses.

Or this would also make a good base for some of the hiking there is to be had in the area. Alternatively, if you don't get bored easily, this is a special place to just hang out and do as little as possible!

• In a nutshell:Good stopping off point before Spis Castle and Kosice
  • Last visit to Levoca: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2005

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 1:00 PM

Good tips on Levoca. We're stopping off here for a couple of days next week during a trip around Slovakia.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2006 at 2:11 PM

I must say I quite liked Levoca, so quiet but with a lot of character. When I finally write my Levoca page we can compare our impressions. Fantastic pictures on your page!

• carolynllew's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 11:12 PM

Yes it is a quiet place. We were there for about 3 hours. I think we had a hot drink in Hotel Satel. I thought the building had a lot of character and yet was so elegant..

kit_mc

“And it hurts with every heartbeat...”

Badges & Stats in Levoca