"Good for a break from the tourist masses!" Otok Lokrum by kit_mc
Otok Lokrum Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 76 photos
The Island of Lokrum lies just off the coast of Dubrovnik. Take a wander down to the harbour in the old town and you'll find regular small passenger boats that make the short trip over.
Don't expect to be the only person going over, but you'll be able to find your own space over there.
We spent a few afternoons here in the course of the three or four days spent in Dubrovnik. It was nice to be able to get away from the tourist milieu and just chill out, get a few rays and increase that tan, before returning to the mainland and taking a wander through the old town.
Lokrum has rocky crags rather than beaches proper.
It's also known as a place where gay guys hang out on the nudist beach, the furthest end away from where the boat docks, follow the signs in German signalling 'FKK'. Just follow the signs on the path to the left as you leave the boat. It's a good place to get all those pale bits tanned!
A good thing to note though is that while this is indeed a fairly male dominated beach, it's not a threatening place whether your male or female.
The water is is warm, you can feel like you're miles from anywhere, and you can see the pebbled floor of the sea through beautiful blue waters!
If sunning yourself all day long isn't your bag, then there's plenty of places to wander in the shade of the woods including a botanical gardens and a derelict monastry which had a cafe - we avoided this having brought our own water and lunch, something I'd certainly recommend to avoid a trek from the beach to the refreshments!
Or just explore a lovely wooded island for an afternoon!
Lokrum is a pretty place to escape to, especially in comparison to some of the less nice (meaning concrete) beaches in Dubrovnik such as Lapad - which was where we stayed.
It's also a good place to avoid loud family groups who don't seem to be bothered enough to make the journey out.
- In a nutshell:A place to rest from Dubrovnik with beautiful waters and few families!
kit_mc's Related Pages
Otok Lokrum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lokrum Island"
- "Beautiful island"
- "Dubrovnik's "House Island""
- "Lokrum Island"
- "Good for a break from the tourist masses!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otok Lokrum
- Transportation in Otok Lokrum
- Restaurants in Otok Lokrum
- Warnings and Dangers in Otok Lokrum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Otok Lokrum
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Otok Lokrum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otok Lokrum
Photos in Otok LokrumSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llanberis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fes Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodiam Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Artá Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos