Isle of Man Off The Beaten Path Tips by kit_mc Top 5 Page for this destination
Isle of Man Off The Beaten Path: 9 reviews and 20 photos
Kirk Lonan, Isle of Man
Kirk Lonan is one of the 'keeils', or stone chapels dotted throughout the Isle of Man. It has been a site of Christian worship for maybe 1500 years and of pagan worship before then. The building that presently houses the church of St Adamnan now was built in 1833 but ajoins the ruins of the old chapel.
The chapel is open to the public so you can take a look inside. On the left hand side on the back pews there were also a variety of local jams and marmaloades, left by locals. I'm not sure if they are sold to assist conservation but you pop your money in the collection box.
The site is beautiful and also houses several stone crosses of great historical importance including the Lonan Wheelhead cross dating from the 5th century AD, with Scottish and Irish influence in style. In a shelter at the bottom of the graveyard you'll find a number of Manx stone crosses that are also part of the Stone Cross Collection.
Snuff the Wind Mine
The Isle of Man is rich in a number of different ores and you can find disused mines all over the place. While the best known of these is probably the mining complex at Laxey with its Great Wheel, one that is more off the beaten track lies inland not far from St John's.
Known by various names, Cross Vein Mine or 'Snuff the Wind' was a lead mine in use between 1830 and 1840. Situated on the road from South Barrule to Glen Maye the site gives some great views across the hills of the interior. In winter it looked a bit bleak and forbidding but in summer I'd say this would be a great place for a country walk.
Niarbyl, Isle of Man
Located a few miles south of Peel is Niarbyl Bay, a beauty spot that is also part of the Manx heritage trail of spots of historic interest dotted all over the island.
There's a popular cafe and some thatched cottages as well as stunning views down the coast. Oh, and chickens in place of seagulls.
Glen Maye, Isle of Man
A few miles from Peel you'll find Glen Maye which has a pretty waterfall and is also part of a walking track, one of the islands nicest coastal paths, "Raad ny Foillan" or Road of the Gull. The cliffs nearby are a favourite spot for birdwatchers.
If you walk there you can also enjoy a pint at the huge pub above the waterfall before moving on.
More Reviews (16)
- Getting to the Isle of Man
- See All Cregneash, National Folk Museum
- 4 star hotel
kit_mc's Related Pages
Isle of Man Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "I have to go back, there's still so much to see!"
- "TAILESS TALES"
- "Ellan Vannin"
- "Orlikins Goes to the Isle Of Man"
- "Isle of Man"
- "Rocks and Rockers"
- "Isle of Man According to Canuckmike"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Man
- Hotels in Isle of Man
- Transportation in Isle of Man
- Nightlife in Isle of Man
- Restaurants in Isle of Man
- Shopping in Isle of Man
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Man
- See All...
Explore the World
- Puerto Banus
- Burkina Faso Hotels
- State of Gujarat
- Sinher Nandan Hotels
- Kilcar Hotels
- Stadt Blankenberg Hotels
- New Jersey Off The Beaten Path
- Plovdiv Off The Beaten Path
- Markets & Flea Markets
- Australia Off The Beaten Path
- Province of British Columbia Off The Beaten Path
- Destin Off The Beaten Path
- Zion National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Antwerp Off The Beaten Path
- Århus Off The Beaten Path
- Montepulciano Off The Beaten Path
- Kuopio Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Isle of Man
- 20 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Isle of Man?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Man
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llanberis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fes Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodiam Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Artá Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos