"We are Londoners. We are one." London by kit_mc

London Travel Guide: 23,504 reviews and 49,611 photos

That love-hate relationship

The title of this page is taken from an advert from the Mayor of London's Office that was also a play on words; We are Londoners. It's a sentiment that I truly agree with. It might be a massive city, but bump into a fellow Londoner while abroad, and just like the smallest town, you'll get into that conversation about where you live (especially North vs South of the River!), where you work and, in my case particularly, where you drink!!

It's the kind of city where you can have a FAB birthday and where lots of mates make it a few days to remember. In their various ways! I love London! I also suggest you always look on the Bright Side of Life, de, de, de, de, de...

Anyhoo, I originally put off constructing a London page for a variety of reasons. Essentially there is so much information regarding this city on VT that I wondered what I could really add and whether I could do justice to the London that I really love (no matter how much I may also complain about it!).

I've tended to use VT to gather information about cities I've never been to, but recently I've been taking a look at the London pages to see if there are any tips to help me see more of my home town, especially during the summer months as I try to extend my horizons away from my usual haunts of Bloomsbury, Soho and Covent Garden.

In my pages I try to give a personal flavour of what can be a confusing and daunting city.

I've also set up a page for Cricklewood which is listed on VT under England rather than as a suburb of London. You'll find tips for both Cricklewood and nearby Willesden Green on that page. The two areas kind of merge into one, and this part of north west London has been my home for a few years now.

With the joys of renting and changing flatmates over the years, I've actually managed to live in a fair few areas along the way, including Finsbury Park, Walthamstow and Wood Green all of which I know fairly well. As I get my tips up, Locals will note that there is a bit of a North-Of-The-River theme running through my pages!

I've lived in London now for nearly a decade and I really feel it to be my home. About 5 years ago I visited Australia for the first time and was miserable coming back to London. In 2005 returning from another visit to Australia I was actually quite excited about returning home. I realise that over the last few years as I've moved house less and found areas that I feel at home in, found restaurants and pubs that I know I can keep going back to and just generally settled into this vast city, I can honestly say I've made London my home.

I've also been lucky enough to have worked the whole time in central London. This means that I'm really familiar with central London (and it's drinking establishments in particular...) and I guess it would be selfish not to share!

It can be very easy to visit London for an extended period and yet miss the soul of the city, feeling like it's an unfriendly place where you just pay over the odds for not much return, so I'll be marking the cards of those places that need kicking into shape and pointing out the little gems I've found along the way.

Needless to say, like a life in London, these pages will always be a work in progress.

• Pros:One of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world.
  • Cons:Expensive and difficult to negotiate!
  • In a nutshell:Good enough for an Olympics! :-)
  • Intro Updated Oct 5, 2008

• jethanand's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2008 at 6:02 PM

Chris, Re: Thursday 7 July 2005 .. And it hurts with every heartbeat... WE ALL feel the same way. Let us pray that there are very few of THEM

• highlandlaura's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2008 at 7:45 AM

Neat! You list a lot of Asian and Indian restaurants. Will check out some, esp Korean and Indian, when I'm in London.

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Thank you too. You can copy and paste any of them. Enjoy! Smile! & Share! (~_~)

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 3:47 AM

Very funny tip on how to wipe that grin off your face when you travel on the tube...

• shutterlust's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 1:00 AM

excellent, excellent London tips, some of the best I've seen yet. Thanks especially for the restaurant tips, I'll be heading back there in march and will definitely make good use of them :-)

• monpic's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2006 at 6:10 PM

Hi Chris, I agree with you on Lido's Hot and Sour soup!!! Cheers.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2006 at 11:15 PM

Chris, you got very good n helpful tips on ur pages. I liked. Congrats. Bora

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 12:28 AM

Great page. Wanted my London page to be different, but afraid I fell into tourist mode. Your account of Olympics brought a tear or two , and 7 July commentary....well. I was in London at second attempt, then boycotted the tube, coward that I am.

• polardabar's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2006 at 1:25 AM

great sincere pages, giving us an insight into living in london. unfortunately, i was only there for a short while, but am planning to drop by sometime soon... will see! ;) keep on the good work! cheers, polar*

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2005 at 2:46 AM

Great start to your restaurant tips Chris. I agree with you about Hare & Tortoise - I go to the one in Ealing all the time! Look forward to reading more soon ; ))

kit_mc Lives Here!

kit_mc

“And it hurts with every heartbeat...”

Badges & Stats in London