"Fáilte go Ros Cré" Roscrea by kit_mc
Roscrea Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 43 photos
Roscrea, or Ros Cré (Wood of Cré) in Irish, is a small town located fairly centrally in Ireland, about part way between Limerick in the west and Dublin in the east.
The town first grew out of a monastic settlement and eventually into an important trading centre where cross Ireland trading routes met. The N7 skirts by the town and as a result it's fairly easy to reach Roscrea from other parts of Ireland such as Dublin, Limerick, Galway and Cork. Indeed, while staying near Roscrea, I made daytrips to to visit relatives in Wexford, Lough Derg to the west of Roscrea and a tourist trip round Clare and The Burren.
While it's a small town, there's enough here to be getting on with if you're interested in the archeology of Ireland, from Roscrea's Thirteenth Century Castle, complete with a Queen Anne style house, Damer House, in its grounds from the Eighteenth Century
In Roscrea you can do a self guided heritage walk. I was given a map at the ticket office to the castle. Worth a look are the remains of a 15th century Franciscan Abbey that acts as a portal to the town's main Roman Catholic church and the remains of St Cronan's Monastary - a round tower and the facade of the 12th century church.
Oh, and it's worth popping into Damer House in Roscrea Castle grounds if only to see what is reputedly the oldest piece of butter in the world! No, that isn't a joke....
Titter ye not! This must be one of the most memorable things I've seen in Ireland, or potentially ever... (Although the... more travel advice
kit_mc's Related Pages
Roscrea Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Roscrea
- Hotels in Roscrea
- Transportation in Roscrea
- Nightlife in Roscrea
- Restaurants in Roscrea
- Warnings and Dangers in Roscrea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roscrea
- 3 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Roscrea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roscrea
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llanberis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fes Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodiam Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Artá Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos