"Los Canos de Meca - Alternative beach holiday?" Barbate de Franco by kit_mc
Barbate de Franco Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 42 photos
Spent a week in Los Canos de Meca, on the Costa de la Luz of Andalucia and had some mixed feelings. An odd place indeed! It's one of those places that's really talked up, apparently once known as a Hippie Hideaway. Well, I'm not sure that a group of drunk (by 10am) dred haired dog-on-a-string-brigade types quite constitute the free love and carefree aura of the 60's, but who am I to judge.
General opinion? If you like good beaches, shared mainly with Spaniards rather than roasting Germans and Brits, but not totally overcrowded, and you don't mind a location that is on the delapidated side of rustic, then this is for you. On the positive it also seems 'gay friendly' with a few other 'Friends of Dorothy' on the beaches and my partner and I had no probs in our hotel. Some pics and recommendations to follow...
If you're staying in Canos de Meca, you'll really only be hanging out on the beach, exploring coves, wandering around in the Parque Natural de la Brena, doing as little as possible. So in a sense the lack of anything 'exciting' means you really do relax here. I'd recommend that you hire a car though, as it's a little of the beaten track, and if you get bored you then have the option of driving somewhere such as Gibraltar, or to Barbate itself, where there are a couple of decent supermarkets to stock up on supplies.
- Pros:Good beaches, off the beaten tourist track, cheap-ish.
- Cons:Delapidated, too many drunk and slightly threatening dred haired types and dogs wandering about.
- In a nutshell:Recommended, but with reservations!
All over this region of Andalucia you'll pass great big signs, symbols for the different sherries made here. They have... more travel advice
This is potentially the classiest place in Canos. The staff are very friendly, speak English but were happy enough to... more travel advice
kit_mc's Related Pages
Barbate de Franco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Between Zahara and Barbate"
- "Los Canos de Meca - Alternative beach holiday?"
- "Barbate de Franco"
- "Higueral de la Oliva"
- "Barbate, a nice fishermen city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barbate de Franco
- Hotels in Barbate de Franco
- Restaurants in Barbate de Franco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barbate de Franco
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Barbate de Franco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barbate de Franco
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: The Heathrow Hiccups"
- updated a Barbate de Franco Travel Page "Los Canos de Meca - Alternative beach holiday?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Los Canos de Meca - Alternative beach holiday?"
- Wrote a Review Sherry adverts dominating the landscape in Barbate de Franco Favorites
Photos in Barbate de FrancoSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Riga Intro, 30 reviews, 93 photos
- London Intro, 35 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Man Intro, 20 reviews, 66 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Llanberis Intro, 15 reviews, 44 photos
- Fes Intro, 15 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chefchaouene Intro, 16 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bodiam Intro, 15 reviews, 36 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Asilah Intro, 16 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rabat Intro, 15 reviews, 26 photos
- Artá Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos