Fes Hotel Tips by kit_mc

Fes Hotels: 10,507 reviews and 82 photos

Hotel Royal Fes - Fes

Hotel Royal Fes

Hotel Royal: Budget Cheapie

I use the term 'hotel' here loosely and I seriously doubt that any royalty has ever stayed here. However, feeling brave after 11 days in Morocco and having only one night left before the flight home, we decided to go as 'budget' as our sensibilities would allow.

On the 5 minute walk down the main street of the Ville Nouvelle from the train station we were stopped twice by individuals who wanted to show us hotels and one of them wanted to take us here. We'd in fact already decided that we were going to check it out, but this was a sign of a backpacker establishment if ever there is one.

At 150 dh per night per room though, this place is pretty much the standard I'd expect in the budget bracket in Fes and was the cheapest of the hotels and pensions I stayed at during my time in Morocco. It's fairly close to the train station and easy to locate. LP advises that at peak season booking ahead is essential, though off season you shouldn't have trouble finding a room. In November 2006 we just turned up on the day.

I'd say this is 'backpacker' territory, although having your own bedding might make you feel more comfortable. Photos of the room and the bathroom are included in this tip.

Unique Qualities: The rooms are very large, rather echoey and ours (I suspect most) had two double beds and a bathroom with a fairly basic shower and European style toilet. Facilities are very basic, the toilet did reek of that stale smell of urine that you'll eventually become fairly used to in Morocco. Hot water for showers is between 7am and 10am and is included in the price of the room.

The room appeared clean, certainly no vermin to be seen. Sheets were threadbare but clean, although I did find rather a lot of human hair in the bedding. The window in my room didn't lock, but as we were on the first floor with no easy access I tried not to worry too much. If you're offered a room on the ground floor, I'd advise checking whether the windows can be locked and if not, to ask for a room higher up. While I had my doubts about the cleanliness of the sheets, it was actually quite a comfortable nights sleep.

We were approached by a guy waiting outside the hotel offering us a tour of the Medina, though since we'd already been in Fes we were able to confidently tell him we'd already done our tours. His story was that he was an official guide of the hotel but I would doubt this as we only ever saw him outside the building. A polite 'no thanks' and a smile should do the trick. Staff in the hotel were polite enough and obviously used to having foreigners staying.

Any number of cafes are nearby for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Address: Rue du Soudan, Fes (Ville Nouvelle)

Comparison: least expensive

Directions: In the Ville Nouvelle, 5 minutes south of the train station, left off Ave Lalla Meryem. From the train station, cross to teh petrol station and walk down that main street, crossing again when you see the mosque to Ave Lalla Meryem.

Price: less than US$20

Theme: Hotel

• Updated Nov 19, 2006
Ibis Fes - Fes

Ibis Fes

Ibis Moussafir Fes: Consistent, clean, modern. Ibis Moussafir Fes Review

The Ibis is really just your bog standard chain hotel, which means you're assured a fairly consistent standard of service and accommodation will be of a mid-range European standard. We booked this place mainly because it was the only reasonably priced hotel in Fes that we could find a website for in order to book in advance.

The best thing about the Ibis in Fes is that it's right beside the train station. If you're arriving at Fes airport, the number 16 bus that ferries travellers into town, terminates outside the hotel, so this is also a really easy place to locate in unfamiliar surroundings. This means that you don't have to run the gauntlet of touts and faux guides while dragging your luggage through town.

The cost is comparitively high by Moroccan standards, and perhaps if you return to Fes, with more confidence and knowing your way around better, you might want to try finding something cheaper. But for location and easing yourself into Morocco, thus avoiding complete culture shock on your first days, this helps. Prices on the internet were much cheaper when we went (out of season in Nov 2006) than just turning up. If you turn up on the day it'll cost in the region of up to 550 dhiram per night.

While the Ville Nouvelle tends to quieten down after 10pm, you might prefer to ask for a room with a view over the pool as the air conditioning is fairly weak and you may want to leave your window open at night.

Unique Qualities: There's TV (1 channel showing English language films with Arabic subtitles, the rest in French, Arabic or Spanish), a decent, clean bathroom and clean sheets. Clean sheets and a nice warm shower in a bathroom that doesn't smell of urine is really something that you come to appreciate in Morocco.

Breakfast was included and consists of a self-service affair with croissants, boiled eggs, yogurt and bread as well as coffee, tea and orange juice. A decent (and more expensive) restaurant is on the premises and there's also a bar serving alcohol and snacks. This is one of the few mid-range places in Fes that also has a swimming pool and some sun loungers making it a good pick in the summer. Taxis from here to the Medina shouldn't set you back more than 10 dh, likewise a taxi to the CTM station in the south of town.

If you've just arrived and are trying to acclimatise before moving and staying in more budget accomodation or you've been doing the whole Moroccan cheap hotel thing and long for a warm shower and clean European style loo, then you could do worse than treat yourself here for a night or two.

Address: Avenue Des Almohades, Place de la Gare, 30000 Fes

Comparison: more expensive than average

Directions: Beside Fes train station and the terminus for the airport bus (no 16)

Phone: (+212)35/651902

Price: US$40-80

Theme: Hotel

Website: http://www.ibishotel.com/ibis/fichehotel/gb/ibi/2033/fiche_hotel.shtml

• Updated Nov 19, 2006

kit_mc

“And it hurts with every heartbeat...”

Badges & Stats in Fes

Have you been to Fes?

Latest Activity in Fes

Visiting Fes?
Read real reviews about Fes Hotels!