"Podunk, One Horse Town..." Flat Rock by truesunn

Flat Rock Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 7 photos

I Had But One Dream...

And that was to get the heck out of Dodge so to speak. I have lived in the same 10 mile radius my entire life... I grew up in an upper middle class city called Trenton,about 10 miles away. We have plans to build a modular home on acreage in KY or TN in the next 2-3 years, tho!

WOW, We have a website!

Nature and Wildlife

My backyard backs up to Oakwood Metro Park, which houses a plethora of local wildlife! Many nights you can hear the frogs and crickets chirping, and if you're very quiet, you hear the occasional deer moving through the brush! We have a small pond, it's frequently visited by small frogs and dragonflies from the park. It's a very nice place to visit, there is fishing permitted in the park, but no hunting!

Besides Oakwood Metro Park (the entrance to the park is actually up the road in Huron Twp), we have Huroc Park, down on the Huron River. People fish the river year round, with a steelhead run in the spring and another in the fall. There is a very nice walking path in the park.

Weather and Gardening

The weather here stinks, particularly the winters. Whether it's snowing or not, you rarely see the sun from Mid Nov- Mid March. Temps generally fall below freezing daily in Dec and Jan. The winter months are in the mid-80's with fairly high humidity. They do say if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes!

For you gardeners, we are in Zone 5. We don't put the goods out in the garden until atleast mid-May. You will have to start your seeds indoors or in a greenhouse.

• Pros:Fishing the Huron River, Good Schools
  • Cons:Weather, increasingly heavier traffic
  • In a nutshell:The minute I can get out of here, I am!
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2006

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 6:34 AM

Best wishes to you on "our" birthday. Just remember, You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2004 at 7:35 PM

Very interesting pages on one of the places we haven't been yet in Michigan. Found you while looking for Flat Rock, North Carolia. Glad we stopped by.

• laughingsun69's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2004 at 10:18 PM

Hi looks like a nice little town ,fishing looks good too nice pics and comments.

• Sassy417's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2003 at 2:51 AM

Beautiful picture! Looks very peaceful.

• patrikske's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2003 at 11:16 AM

Very nice, good info and some lovely pics !

• GaryAlan's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2003 at 7:00 PM

Very nice mix of photos and commentary! (Personally, though, I would prefer Flat Rock to Vegas .... ) (g)

• Jul 18, 2003 at 6:38 AM

Nice travellouges..nice information..

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2003 at 7:51 PM

Well Carrie once again I can understand why you want to move, Lori and I have taken the I-75 sooo many times , and the Toledo Detroit stretch is not our favorite but I am sure there are some nice things in Flat Rock Michigan ,nice page Carrie

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2003 at 9:00 PM

Good to see you are traveling now... There is a great big world waiting for you to explore it. Enjoy life and all that it has to offer.

truesunn Lives Here!

truesunn

“Bright light city gonna set my soul, gonna set my soul on FIRE!”

Badges & Stats in Flat Rock

Have you been to Flat Rock?

Latest Activity in Flat Rock