"The Enchanted Islands" Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands by SanguiniA
Galápagos Islands Travel Guide: 1,271 reviews and 6,255 photos
The Galapagos are the dream destination of anyone who is remotely interested in animals. The wildlife on these ragged islands cannot fail to captivate all visitors - where else can you find creatures virtually fearless of humans? That can be observed up close and personal without them flinching or altering their behaviour? The answer is nowhere else - except here.
The Galapagos are actually a volcano in the Pacific ocean, 1000km off the shore of Ecuador. Geologically, they are quite young and still in formation process so the volcanos are still active. Their being a volcano implies that they were never connected to the mainland implying that all living organisms arrived there by sea currents, by wind or some other chance of nature. That restricted the variety of animals that arrived here, so they all adapted to fill in the various ecological niches. Those who did not adapt did not survive - only those who did survived and reproduced; passing on the particular traits that allowed it to adapt. This is the core of the theory of Natural Selection proposed by Charles Darwin in his revolutionary work The Origin of the Species. This work was in fact inspired by his visit to the Galapagos. The story does not stop here .... As the animals battled for survival on this hostile land they found new techniques to adapt and flourish. For example some iguanas stayed on land to feed whilst others took to the sea. Over thousands of years they developed into entirely different species. This is an example of the theory of Evolution.
These pages are aimed to give more insight to these magnificent islands and their inhabitants - so that any prospective traveller can know what to expect. I took an 8 day - 7 night cruise and could obviously not visit all of the islands, so there is undoubtedly some ommission of information (I will go back though to see the parts that I missed!)
This is one of the few places that you see exactly what you see in the documentaries - so you are guaranteed not to be disappointed. Take the effort to learn a bit about the islands and the wildlife if you plan to visit - it will enhance your experience considerably. I will try to include as much info as possible, so here is a good start :)
- Pros:Amazing wildlife experience
- In a nutshell:Wildlife appreciation for everyone
The Galapagos's underwater world is just as interesting as the islands themselves, so do yourselves a favour and don't... more travel advice
Well, the thieves of the island will stalk you and pester you for morsels of food or some water ... but the little... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
Galápagos Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Galapagos Islands"
- "Places and faces of the Galapagos"
- "Independently Galapagos"
- "A world apart"
- "The Enchanted Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galápagos Islands
- Hotels in Galápagos Islands
- Transportation in Galápagos Islands
- Nightlife in Galápagos Islands
- Restaurants in Galápagos Islands
- Shopping in Galápagos Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Galápagos Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galápagos Islands
- 36 Reviews
- 83 Photos
- 17 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Galápagos Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galápagos Islands
- updated a Galápagos Islands Travel Page "The Enchanted Islands"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hangover Food..."
- Commented on one of VA_Dave's Galápagos Islands travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Floreana Island - Flamingo Lake"
- Wrote a Review Snorkelling and Diving in Galápagos Islands Sports & Outdoors
Photos in Galápagos IslandsSee All Photos (83)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues