"The land that lies in the middle of the world ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador by SanguiniA
Ecuador Travel Guide: 5,162 reviews and 19,151 photos
ECUADOR - land of the equator boasts stunning and unexpected variety. The smallest of the Andean countries, Ecuador unfolds around a mountaneous backbone, with snow capped peaks and an avenue of volcanoes. To the east the land drops down, and within lies El Oriente, Ecuador's part of the Amazon Basin. To the west of the Andes lie the lowlands of the coast.
As if this weren't enough, 1000km off the Pacific coast, Ecuador jelously posesses the most prized of natural and wildlife possessions - the GALAPAGOS ISLANDS. These charmed fragments of volcanic rock rise from the ocean and host the earth's most fearless and friendly wildlife. These islands, and particularly their curious inhabitants inspired Charles Darwin's revolutionary "Origin of the Species", and continue to awe visitors to this very day.
Check out my Galapagos Islands pages
Despite the wealth of natural wonders the country is in dismal shape and plagued with problems. The political turmoil rips through every layer of the society - Ecuador has had 7 presidents since 1996, protests (sometimes seemingly violent) are a common occurrence, corruption is a way of life. Half of the population is very poor and violence is getting out of hand in certain cities. Considering that its neighbour is Columbia, it is no wonder that Ecuador has problems and disputes over drugs and immigrants. The oil industry rapes the Amazon rainforest and leaves little in return to the country. Deforestation is like a disease stripping the country of its former lush vast expanse of forest.
Neverthless, it is an inspiring place to visit. The people brave all the problems with courage and are friendly and helpful to tourists; and what nature is left is truly stunning. Tourism is much needed, both to boost the economy of the country as well as to help preserve nature; and I am glad to have visited as I know I have contributed something, no matter how insignificant; and in return I got wonderful memories of this beautiful corner of South America.
- Pros:Sheer beauty and stunning wildlife
- Cons:Polotical turmoil, violence, crime
- In a nutshell:One of the most captivating places, but plagued with problems.
Backpacks are by far the most comfortable - especially if planning to go to the Amazon and to the Galapagos. Also the... more travel advice
These are the islands that ispired Charles Darwin's revolutionary Origin of the Species Jutting out of the ocean,... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
Ecuador Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip in Ecuador with Maillekeul"
- "The land that lies in the middle of the world ..."
- "Ecuador, first step - Equateur, la premiere etape"
- "Ecuador-the country of four seasons!"
- "My itinerary in Ecuador 2011"
- "Ecuador: A Place of Special Consideration"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ecuador
- Hotels in Ecuador
- Transportation in Ecuador
- Nightlife in Ecuador
- Restaurants in Ecuador
- Shopping in Ecuador
- Warnings and Dangers in Ecuador
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ecuador
- 72 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 42 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ecuador?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ecuador
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hangover Food..."
- Wrote a Review For Ecuador you have to pack a bit of everything!! in Ecuador What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "For Ecuador you have to pack a bit of everything!!"
- updated a Ecuador Travel Page "The land that lies in the middle of the world ..."
- Commented on one of Joemidwest's Ecuador travel pages
Photos in EcuadorSee All Photos (152)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues