"Tales from the Thousand Lakes" Top 5 Page for this destination Finland by SanguiniA
Finland Travel Guide: 9,522 reviews and 21,611 photos
Actually Finland has more than a thousand lakes - there are 187,888 of them all over the country. Finland is the perfect place for anyone fond of nature, especially forests and lakes. I have visited this country for the first time in June 2003 and I have been totally enchanted by its beauty and by the midnight sun ... so I visited again, in winter, summer and autumn 2006 - my favourite was definitely seein Suomi covered in a blanket of white snow :)
During my first summer visit of a one week duration I have visited Helsinki (obviously!), the Kempele area(Liminka, Limingalahti bird sanctuary) and the Kuusamo area (Ruka, Juuma, Valtavaara, Oulanka National Park). I would definitely recommend spending more than one week in Finland - I left the crossing of the Arctic Circle pending for summer 2006 though ....
On my second trip, which was shorter, I stayed in the Helsinki/Vantaa/Espoo area. Winter in Finland changes the landscape completely, and I adored the frozen lakes and all the snow (which we never get in Malta - neither the lakes nor the snow!)
Third trip, in summer 2006 was the much anticipated Lapland trip through 3 different countries, starting in Finland, then via Norway, then Sweden, and then through Finland again.
Fourth trip in September 06, took me for another long weekend break ... this time in the beautiful city of Turku.
- Pros:Beautiful country, most people understand English, plenty of things to see and do
- Cons:Transport is very expensive - like everything else in Finland!
- In a nutshell:A landscape painter's paradise
Existing since the 13th century, Turku is the oldest city in Finland, and was also once the capital. Due to its location... more travel advice
The Lapland area, occupies the Northernmost part of Finland and extends into Norway, Sweden and Russia. It is one of the... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
Finland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Finland - about stereotypes and uniqueness"
- "Tales from the Thousand Lakes"
- "It is never too hot in Finland"
- "Fin de Lande"
- "IMPORTANT FINLAND FACTS"
- "Finland, it is quite fine land, may I say"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Finland
- Hotels in Finland
- Transportation in Finland
- Nightlife in Finland
- Restaurants in Finland
- Shopping in Finland
- Warnings and Dangers in Finland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Finland
- 31 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Finland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Finland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Top Finland hotels
- Helsinki Hotels
- 3683 Reviews - 7470 Photos
- Rovaniemi Hotels
- 361 Reviews - 743 Photos
- Tampere Hotels
- 606 Reviews - 1127 Photos
- Ivalo Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 82 Photos
- Vantaa Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 107 Photos
- Lappeenranta Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Sirkka Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 19 Photos
- Muonio Hotels
- 13 Reviews - 20 Photos
- Turku Hotels
- 490 Reviews - 1037 Photos
- Kuopio Hotels
- 134 Reviews - 240 Photos
- Pori Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 65 Photos
- Oulu Hotels
- 214 Reviews - 387 Photos
- Jyväskylä Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 51 Photos
- Inari Hotels
- 34 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Rauma Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 222 Photos