"Tales from the Thousand Lakes" Top 5 Page for this destination Finland by SanguiniA

Finland Travel Guide: 9,556 reviews and 21,739 photos

Actually Finland has more than a thousand lakes - there are 187,888 of them all over the country. Finland is the perfect place for anyone fond of nature, especially forests and lakes. I have visited this country for the first time in June 2003 and I have been totally enchanted by its beauty and by the midnight sun ... so I visited again, in winter, summer and autumn 2006 - my favourite was definitely seein Suomi covered in a blanket of white snow :)

During my first summer visit of a one week duration I have visited Helsinki (obviously!), the Kempele area(Liminka, Limingalahti bird sanctuary) and the Kuusamo area (Ruka, Juuma, Valtavaara, Oulanka National Park). I would definitely recommend spending more than one week in Finland - I left the crossing of the Arctic Circle pending for summer 2006 though ....

On my second trip, which was shorter, I stayed in the Helsinki/Vantaa/Espoo area. Winter in Finland changes the landscape completely, and I adored the frozen lakes and all the snow (which we never get in Malta - neither the lakes nor the snow!)

Third trip, in summer 2006 was the much anticipated Lapland trip through 3 different countries, starting in Finland, then via Norway, then Sweden, and then through Finland again.

Fourth trip in September 06, took me for another long weekend break ... this time in the beautiful city of Turku.

• Pros:Beautiful country, most people understand English, plenty of things to see and do
  • Cons:Transport is very expensive - like everything else in Finland!
  • In a nutshell:A landscape painter's paradise
  • Last visit to Finland: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2006

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Nice tips

• sihi's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Finland is nice, great page:)

• swetluska's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2008 at 6:17 AM

Beautiful photos! Going to Finland at the end of April.... can't wait...! :)

• Dec 30, 2007 at 7:07 AM

ummm cranberry liqueur sounds appetising, not sure about chocolates with vodka in them though unless Finnish vodka is really good stuff! ;)

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2007 at 12:54 AM

i noticed a little bamboozas tip in here - inspiured by JTF no doubt

• Kukkanen's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for visiting my Helsinki page! :) It's still under construction so I'm including more tips every week :) The photos on your Finland page are AMAZING!!! I hope Finland is treating you nicely :)

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2007 at 12:33 PM

u have gr8 pictures and tips! I first visited Helsinki on a Russian cruise ship in the late '60's and then weekend trips when I lived in Stockholm and then transit every 2 or 3 months when I lived in Russia.Happy New Year.Tim

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Great tips and photos as usual! As long as I don't think about how cold it is up here it actually seems to be great living in the nordic countries! :) Lordi rules, by the way... :D

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 1:53 PM

Hi Alison. I'm taking a break from my El Peten research and discovering your Finland pages. Marvelous. In 4 weeks, I'll be in Tikal!

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 1:06 PM

Nice page on Finland. Loved the lakes and snow scenes. I would be fascinated by the winters too, it doesn't snow here either.

SanguiniA Used To Live Here!

Badges & Stats in Finland

Have you been to Finland?

Latest Activity in Finland