"Sabah - Malaysian Borneo" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah by SanguiniA
State of Sabah Travel Guide: 2,743 reviews and 6,934 photos
Malaysian Borneo is divided into 2 states, Sarawak and Sabah. Both of them have plenty to do and plenty to explore and please don't ask me which state is best to visit because I had a great time at both! I guess the best is to see a little bit of both. (BTW : Please visit my Sarawak pages as well!)
Kota Kinabalu, or KK as referred to by the local is Sabah's capital. The shopping is great here, but it seems to lack the elegance of Kuching. Still, is a great base to start exploring Sabah, as it is a transport hub (both air and bus, and in some cases water as well).
As was the case with Sarawak, even though this time I had almost 2 weeks to explore this region, I still left some interesting things out ... but first I will highlight what I did ...
- Visited KK twice
- Visited the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, and stayed on Manukan Island
- Climbed Mount Kinabalu and visited the Kinabalu Park
- Visited Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
- Went to Turtle Islands
- Visited the roach infested Gomatong Caves
- Went to Sukau to explore the Kinabatangan River
Unfortunately, after climbing the Kinabalu and got caught up in a really heavy downpour of rain I got a very bad flu (no, not Bird Flu - normal flu) so I got a bit slowed down, I could have easily visited Sandakan City but I really had to take half day off and sleep.
And now on to what I missed due to lack of time ...
- Danum Valley
Apart from lack of time this was also a case of lack of funds :) It is really expensive to spend time there. It got to be a choice between that and the Kinabatangan River so I chose the latter instead. Danum Valley is a really great spot for birdwatching, but I heard that you have to be really really patient.
- Sipadan Island
Now this was a really heart breaking decision. I really really wanted to visit this island, but I went to see the turtles on turtle island instead. Not that I did not enjoy the turtles, but I heard that this is the last year that tourists will be accepted on the island as it seems that tourism is doing much more harm than good.
- Pulau Tiga National Park
Another difficult decision, I really wanted to see the sea snakes inhabiting one of the islands in this park, but it would have taken a bit too long so I chose Manukan instead.
- Crocker Range
Thought I would have enough of mountains after the Kinabalu climb! Still I am sorry I missed this.
- Tawau Park
I heard that this is a great park ... but I do not know much about it.
- Pros:Great scenery, wildlife and people!
- Cons:Nothing really, except maybe malaria!
- In a nutshell:A worthy home to SEA highest peak!
Apart from having the advantage of being a stone's throw away from the famous Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, this... more travel advice
I think that maybe Sabah is a bit better than Sarawak for travel by land. Still cheap flights are really worth it for... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
State of Sabah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A wonderful time on Sabah"
- "Up the AWESOME Mountains, Down the GLORIOUS Ocean"
- "Sabah - Malaysian Borneo"
- "SABAH - Land of SO MUCH EXPLORATION :)"
- "Spirited Sabah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Sabah
- Hotels in State of Sabah
- Transportation in State of Sabah
- Nightlife in State of Sabah
- Restaurants in State of Sabah
- Shopping in State of Sabah
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Sabah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Sabah
- 20 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 44 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to State of Sabah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Sabah
Photos in State of SabahSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues