"Sabah - Malaysian Borneo" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah by SanguiniA

State of Sabah Travel Guide: 2,673 reviews and 6,775 photos

Sabah

Malaysian Borneo is divided into 2 states, Sarawak and Sabah. Both of them have plenty to do and plenty to explore and please don't ask me which state is best to visit because I had a great time at both! I guess the best is to see a little bit of both. (BTW : Please visit my Sarawak pages as well!)

Kota Kinabalu, or KK as referred to by the local is Sabah's capital. The shopping is great here, but it seems to lack the elegance of Kuching. Still, is a great base to start exploring Sabah, as it is a transport hub (both air and bus, and in some cases water as well).

As was the case with Sarawak, even though this time I had almost 2 weeks to explore this region, I still left some interesting things out ... but first I will highlight what I did ...

What I did ...

- Visited KK twice
- Visited the Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, and stayed on Manukan Island
- Climbed Mount Kinabalu and visited the Kinabalu Park
- Visited Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
- Went to Turtle Islands
- Visited the roach infested Gomatong Caves
- Went to Sukau to explore the Kinabatangan River

Unfortunately, after climbing the Kinabalu and got caught up in a really heavy downpour of rain I got a very bad flu (no, not Bird Flu - normal flu) so I got a bit slowed down, I could have easily visited Sandakan City but I really had to take half day off and sleep.

What I missed -

And now on to what I missed due to lack of time ...

- Danum Valley
Apart from lack of time this was also a case of lack of funds :) It is really expensive to spend time there. It got to be a choice between that and the Kinabatangan River so I chose the latter instead. Danum Valley is a really great spot for birdwatching, but I heard that you have to be really really patient.

- Sipadan Island
Now this was a really heart breaking decision. I really really wanted to visit this island, but I went to see the turtles on turtle island instead. Not that I did not enjoy the turtles, but I heard that this is the last year that tourists will be accepted on the island as it seems that tourism is doing much more harm than good.

- Pulau Tiga National Park
Another difficult decision, I really wanted to see the sea snakes inhabiting one of the islands in this park, but it would have taken a bit too long so I chose Manukan instead.

- Crocker Range
Thought I would have enough of mountains after the Kinabalu climb! Still I am sorry I missed this.

- Tawau Park
I heard that this is a great park ... but I do not know much about it.

• Pros:Great scenery, wildlife and people!
  • Cons:Nothing really, except maybe malaria!
  • In a nutshell:A worthy home to SEA highest peak!
  • Last visit to State of Sabah: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 12, 2005

• Eish's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Thanks for such great travelogues. I am planning a Sabah visit, and they just make me more eager to travel.

• travelpug's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 7:51 AM

Thanks for posting your great tips on Sabah. Your page is the best Sabah page! (in my opinion) I will be going there later this month. Hopefully everything goes well.

• Hui-Hui's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 1:20 AM

I'm going to visit Sabah this weekend. Thanks a lot for your great page with beautiful pictures.

• mikkie50's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2006 at 3:12 AM

ahhh alison :-) such fond memories of borneo :-)) we stayed on a river lodge on the saku river 4 noghts awesome trip als did sandakan the place i habg out by the way :-))) oxo oxo

• hennanights's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2006 at 7:09 PM

Same thing happened to us at Sepilok. We lost over $1000 AU. Left it hidden in a compartment at the bottom of our rucksack in a locked hotel room. We went for a 1/2 walk. Came back no money. It was heartbreaking!

• la_beba's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2006 at 10:45 AM

I know! tell me about it! I am doing the same! it's Sunday, and after some very hot days, it is raining cats and dogs out here! it's wonderful to be home today and to hear the rain hitting on the window :o)

• xaver's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2006 at 12:59 AM

very complete page and, above all great hotel deals, which are pretty rare here in vt..which is overcrowded by 5 stars hotel tips:-)

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2006 at 2:01 PM

Great page! Looks like you had fun even though you got the flu. Climbing Kinabalu must have been quite an experience!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 11:58 AM

Oh, poor you, you got the flue, your phone and money was stolen and still you manage to make it as a great holiday :)

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 10:57 AM

great page! Borneo is wish list destination for me

Badges & Stats in State of Sabah

Have you been to State of Sabah?

Latest Activity in State of Sabah