"My First Taste of Asia" Malaysia by SanguiniA
Malaysia Travel Guide: 27,837 reviews and 69,537 photos
I don't know why I chose MALAYSIA as my first window into the mystic far east ... but this certainly was one of the most significant and enjoyable experiences in my life. I spent one month here, 3 weeks in Malaysian Borneo, and the rest in peninsular Malaysia. In this section I will only write about Peninsular Malaysia, the Borneo stuff can be viewed by following these links
My State of Sarawak Pages
My State of Sabah Pages
Now, time for some basic info ...
Malaysia covers an area of roughly 330,000 sq km, much of it covered in jungles, very rich with plants and wildlife. Malaysia is divided into peninsular Malaysia, and Malaysian Borneo (the northern part of the huge island of Borneo). The capital is the chic and trendy Kuala Lumpur.
Malaysia should be an example to the world on tolerance - many races leave peacefully together. The main races in Malaysia are the Malaysians, Chinese, Indian and other indigenous races. The dominant religion is Islam, but there are also Hindu, Chinese Religions and the religions of indigenous people.
If you like oriental food then this place is heaven! The staggering variety of food is an obvious result of the vast multiculturalism here.
To conclude (or else I would end up ranting for ages) there are plenty of things to see and do here - almost everything imaginable, from trekking in the jungle to relaxing and pampering yourself in a 5 star resort, from shopping in ultra modern malls to the somber and relaxed atmospheres in the oriental temples and mosques, from sunbathing on tropical beaches to sipping tea in the cool highlands among the tea plantations, from diving amongst coral and tropical fish to reaching the summit of the highest mountain between the Himalayas and New Guinea ... in short: everything you may desire!
Anyway, The main aim of my trip was to visit Borneo - but I couldn't resist stopping by the mainland as well - but obviously in just under a week a just got a really small taste of the country, and I really missed out a lot!
Here are the places I visited
-- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's chic and modern capital.
-- Penang, dubbed as being the Pearl of the Orient
-- Langkawi, 99 islands under the sun
-- Cameron Highlands, colonial district in the highlands among vast tea plantations.
I hope you enjoy my Malaysia and Borneo pages, I surely enjoyed my holiday there and am eager to convey the beauty of this country, along with useful information of course (or so I hope)
- Pros:Everything you might desire - too much to list!
- Cons:Too much to see!! It would take ages to fully explore the wonders this country has to offer
- In a nutshell:Paradise in the Orient
This is another enourmous shopping mall, and new by the looks of it. About a 3rd of it is still empty but I guess it... more travel advice
After weeks of being in the jungle, I was looking forward for some stylish 'fine dining' in KL. One of the most exciting... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
Malaysia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit Malaysia Year 2007 has started"
- "Malaysia - a cool fusion of culture and beliefs"
- "Malaysia Travel (and The Foreign Labour Colony)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Malaysia
- Hotels in Malaysia
- Transportation in Malaysia
- Nightlife in Malaysia
- Restaurants in Malaysia
- Shopping in Malaysia
- Warnings and Dangers in Malaysia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Malaysia
- 59 Reviews
- 136 Photos
- 92 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Malaysia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Malaysia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Top Malaysia hotels
- Kuala Lumpur Hotels
- 5969 Reviews - 13417 Photos
- Port Dickson Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 378 Photos
- Pulau Langkawi Hotels
- 1372 Reviews - 3162 Photos
- Penang Hotels
- 2453 Reviews - 5227 Photos
- Melaka Hotels
- 1594 Reviews - 3911 Photos
- Kuching Hotels
- 787 Reviews - 2074 Photos
- Kota Kinabalu Hotels
- 1056 Reviews - 2780 Photos
- Johor Bahru Hotels
- 515 Reviews - 930 Photos
- Cameron Highlands Hotels
- 567 Reviews - 1700 Photos
- Kuala Terengganu Hotels
- 133 Reviews - 308 Photos
- Miri Hotels
- 242 Reviews - 609 Photos
- Lumut Hotels
- 84 Reviews - 213 Photos
- Kuantan Hotels
- 156 Reviews - 433 Photos
- Ipoh Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 716 Photos
- Pengkalan Balak Hotels
- See nearby hotels