"Slovak Snow" Slovakia by SanguiniA
Slovakia Travel Guide: 4,067 reviews and 10,422 photos
Slovakia must be one of the most underrated countries to visit. It has so much to offer to the traveller who likes forests, trekking/hiking and quiet life.
Late Winter (end of February beginning of March) is the best time for some adventurous hiking/trekking through the various National Parks. There is almost no one around as the parks are at their most active in summer. The weather at this time is not so cold and there is still plenty of snow left in certain places.
Accomodation in Slovakia at this time of the year is ridiculously cheap. I have stayed in pensions and they are really worth it and most important spotlessly clean.
Food in Slovakia is very cheap and simply delicious. I cannot praise their beer enough! Simply excellent and really cheap.
Slovensky Raj is known as the Slovak Paradise - and this is a fitting description indeed. One can wander through the various trails in the forest without ever meeting a single person! In the snow the trails get quite adventurous and the river trails have ladders and chains to hold on to.
The frozen Honrad River is magnificent at this time of the year and it offers the most interesting trails.
The High Tatras are a must to visit in every season! The little mountain villages are really nice and the Tatra Electric Railway system ensures you get a comfortable ride to any place in the High Tatras you wish to visit. The buses are very efficient as well.
From Tatransca Lomnica one can catch a cable car to the very top of the mountains.
- Pros:Beautiful country, excellent beer & everything is so cheap!
- Cons:Not a lot of people speak English
- In a nutshell:Not just Czech Republic's little sister!
From the village of Tatranska Lomnica one can catch a cable car to the top of the High Tatras. This is really a must-see... more travel advice
This trail is really worthwhile if you visit the Slovak Paradise park. This trail is not reccommended in winter... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
Slovakia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nostalgia isn't what it used to be ..."
- "Under-rated, small-big country!"
- "Slovakia; Czechoslovakia's other half"
- "Our Southern Neighbours"
- "Slovakia - well worth visiting !"
- "Paul2001's Slovakia Page"
- "My Slovakia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Slovakia
- Hotels in Slovakia
- Transportation in Slovakia
- Nightlife in Slovakia
- Restaurants in Slovakia
- Shopping in Slovakia
- Warnings and Dangers in Slovakia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Slovakia
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Slovakia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Slovakia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Top Slovakia hotels
- Bratislava Hotels
- 2008 Reviews - 4441 Photos
- Kosice Hotels
- 154 Reviews - 421 Photos
- Vysoke Tatry Hotels
- 118 Reviews - 404 Photos
- Tatranska Lomnica Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 70 Photos
- Piest'any Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 93 Photos
- Zilina Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 80 Photos
- Strbske Pleso Hotels
- 15 Reviews - 63 Photos
- Stary Smokovec Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 39 Photos
- Poprad Hotels
- 56 Reviews - 169 Photos
- Nitra Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 34 Photos
- Zvolen Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Zdiar Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 32 Photos
- Zdiar Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Trnava Hotels
- 97 Reviews - 167 Photos
- Trencin Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 171 Photos