"Sarawak - Malaysian Borneo" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak by SanguiniA

State of Sarawak Travel Guide: 1,485 reviews and 4,129 photos

Introduction to Sarawak

My journey to Borneo began in the state of Sarawak. If you do not know, the island of Borneo is divided in 3: Malaysian Borneo, Indonesian Borneo (Kalimantan) and Brunei (the only whole country in Borneo). Anyway, Malaysian Borneo is divided into two states, Sarawak and Sabah.

Kuching (a.k.a. Cat City) acts as Sarawak's capital - and it is one of the most wonderful cities you'll ever see ... just one look at the waterfront and you're smitten!! There is an amazing variety of things to do and places to visit in Sarawak. It probably deserves a holiday on its own. I only had one week available in my schedule (I had to visit Singapore, Sabah and Peninsular Malaysia in the same one month holiday ...) and it certainly was not enough to sample all that Sarawak has to offer. For this reason, below I have included a list of what I did and a list of what I missed so that if anyone of you out there has more time at hand can find some suggestions.

What I did ...

So here we go ... Here is what I actually did (more info and photos can be found in the

tips section and the travelogues)

- Explored the Santubong Peninsula
- Lang's Cave
- Deer Cave
- Clearwater Cave
- Wind Cave
- Witnessed the natural phenomenon of 3 million bats exiting the enormous Deer Cave

where they roost during the daylight hours.

... And what I missed

And now, here is what I (alas!!!) missed

- Though I did visit Bako National Park, this was only a day trip and certainly not enough to fully explore this enormous and beautiful place. I think that at least an overnight stay and 2 days is recommended - more if you intend to explore the wildlife which is quite elusive (especially the birds). There are about 16 trails - so there is plenty to do and I also liked the chalet style accomodation in the Park.

- The Pinnacles. These are located in the Mulu National Park. They are a stone forest half way up Gunung Api ('Gunung' means mountain). This is a 3 day 2 night trek, and one must be in quite good physical shape to attempt this.

- Bario and the Kelabit Highlands
This is another highlight of Borneo, for those who love trekking of course.

Even as I am writing down the highlights which I missed I am sure that I have to return to Borneo for another trip! Its really unbelievable how many things there are to see and do - and I'm speaking of Malaysian Borneo only (I really don't know that much of Kalimantan ...). I know one person who went there 3 or 4 times already and hasn't seen everything! I think this place is addictive :)

• Pros:Great wildlife, magnificent scenery
  • Cons:Why is there so much to do and I had so little time ?!
  • Last visit to State of Sarawak: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2004

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I had heard about Sarawak and enjoyed your virtual tour... Thanx a lot! ~

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2008 at 7:27 AM

Great page on Sarawak. Beautiful pictures and good tips. Thanks.

• kimmo_v's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Bako is just awesome, isnt it? I were there 1999 for 3 nights and just fell in love...And you are right about Kuching; very nice city(though i was hit by the car there...:-)). Very nice page here!!!

• Raffies's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 4:13 AM

Great photos and tips ..keep it up

• dfactor's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2006 at 12:03 AM

Hi Alison, guess you and I still have some work to do on Sarawak and Sabah page. But at least you made it to Mt. Kinabalu. It was fully booked when I was there.

• BorneoGrrl's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 5:47 AM

Hi alison, thanks for many nice words on my country (I'm from Miri). You're most welcome to visit Sarawak again! Valerie

• sharmindc's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 10:10 AM

hey alison, i'm looking at yr page for travel tips abt borneo for some friends who will be visiting frm europe and i'm malaysian! haha! good info you've got posted btw.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Fantastic adventure, with great photos and tips.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 1:31 PM

Great tips! Looks like I can drop the cat museum of my must see before I die places.

• Wild_Orchid's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2005 at 4:09 AM

I came back to relook at your pages. thanks for writing such great tips & for your support of my country. :)

Badges & Stats in State of Sarawak

Have you been to State of Sarawak?