"Sarawak - Malaysian Borneo" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak by SanguiniA
State of Sarawak Travel Guide: 1,485 reviews and 4,110 photos
My journey to Borneo began in the state of Sarawak. If you do not know, the island of Borneo is divided in 3: Malaysian Borneo, Indonesian Borneo (Kalimantan) and Brunei (the only whole country in Borneo). Anyway, Malaysian Borneo is divided into two states, Sarawak and Sabah.
Kuching (a.k.a. Cat City) acts as Sarawak's capital - and it is one of the most wonderful cities you'll ever see ... just one look at the waterfront and you're smitten!! There is an amazing variety of things to do and places to visit in Sarawak. It probably deserves a holiday on its own. I only had one week available in my schedule (I had to visit Singapore, Sabah and Peninsular Malaysia in the same one month holiday ...) and it certainly was not enough to sample all that Sarawak has to offer. For this reason, below I have included a list of what I did and a list of what I missed so that if anyone of you out there has more time at hand can find some suggestions.
So here we go ... Here is what I actually did (more info and photos can be found in the
tips section and the travelogues)
- Explored the Santubong Peninsula
- Damai Beach
- Cultural Village
- Gunung Santubong
- Went for a day trip to Bako National Park
- Visited Kuching
- Visited Miri
- Visited Gunung Mulu National Park
- Lang's Cave
- Deer Cave
- Clearwater Cave
- Wind Cave
- Witnessed the natural phenomenon of 3 million bats exiting the enormous Deer Cave
where they roost during the daylight hours.
And now, here is what I (alas!!!) missed
- Though I did visit Bako National Park, this was only a day trip and certainly not enough to fully explore this enormous and beautiful place. I think that at least an overnight stay and 2 days is recommended - more if you intend to explore the wildlife which is quite elusive (especially the birds). There are about 16 trails - so there is plenty to do and I also liked the chalet style accomodation in the Park.
- The Pinnacles. These are located in the Mulu National Park. They are a stone forest half way up Gunung Api ('Gunung' means mountain). This is a 3 day 2 night trek, and one must be in quite good physical shape to attempt this.
- Bario and the Kelabit Highlands
This is another highlight of Borneo, for those who love trekking of course.
Even as I am writing down the highlights which I missed I am sure that I have to return to Borneo for another trip! Its really unbelievable how many things there are to see and do - and I'm speaking of Malaysian Borneo only (I really don't know that much of Kalimantan ...). I know one person who went there 3 or 4 times already and hasn't seen everything! I think this place is addictive :)
- Pros:Great wildlife, magnificent scenery
- Cons:Why is there so much to do and I had so little time ?!
When visiting Bako National Park, don't miss the opportunity to go for a boat ride to the weird sea stacks - there is... more travel advice
If you would like to take some handicraft souverniers at home purchase them in Kuching. Cross the road from the... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
State of Sarawak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Borneo Jungle Adventure 4 - 10 Mar 09"
- "Sarawak - Malaysian Borneo"
- "Sarawak, Borneo"
- "Sarawak, Damai Beach"
- "Sarawak!! Where??"
- "Sarawak - An Incredible Place To Visit"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Sarawak
- Hotels in State of Sarawak
- Transportation in State of Sarawak
- Nightlife in State of Sarawak
- Restaurants in State of Sarawak
- Shopping in State of Sarawak
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Sarawak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Sarawak
- 22 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to State of Sarawak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Sarawak
Photos in State of SarawakSee All Photos (60)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues