"Dizzying Parque Nacional Lauca" Lauca by SanguiniA
Lauca Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 22 photos
This Unesco Biosphere Reserve located in the extreme north of Chile is part of the altiplano and it offers unique and spectacular sights. Travellers into volcano or mountain sceneries wishing to see a more traditional Andean aspect of Chile should not miss this park, as apart from the stunning landscapes, there are also some lovely little villages including the Aymara villages of Parinacota and Putre (the latter is a few kms outside the park). This park is just a few hours' drive from Arica.
This is also one of the best places in the Norte Grande to observe wildlife, with many bird species readily seen, along with viscachas, vicunas and guanaco to name a few. Domestic llama and alpacas are also seen grazing practically everywhere.
The crown jewel of the park is undoubtedly the Lago Chungara, one of the highest lakes of the world, with the massive Parinacota volcano rising behind it. Travellers are guaranteed to remain breathless - not only due to the natural beauty, but also the dizzying altitude. The altitudes in the park vary from 3000m to 6300m - Chungara is at 4500m.
* If you have seen BBC's "Wild South America" documentary series, the mountains episode contains scenes from this park.
- Pros:Beautiful scenery
- Cons:Unpredictable weather
- In a nutshell:Breathtaking
We opted for a rental car here, rented from Arica. a 4WD is a must in all seasons, even if you are told otherwise. In... more travel advice
There is only one word adequately describing this place: sinful!! If you are in Putre you just have to go here and try... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
Lauca Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Lauca
- Hotels in Lauca
- Transportation in Lauca
- Restaurants in Lauca
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Lauca
- 14 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Lauca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lauca
Photos in LaucaSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues