"Take me back to the Surreal Bolivian Altiplano!" Uyuni by SanguiniA
Uyuni Travel Guide: 299 reviews and 907 photos
It is ironic that one of the poorest countries in South America is so rich in natural beauty and has limitless tourism potential. My visit to Bolivia was brief, but I was mesmerized - the lanscapes are hands-down the most beautiful and surreal I have ever seen. The Bolivian Altiplano definitely became my favourite corner in South America so far, and I will surely return to see the rest of the country someday.
The Altiplano in Bolivia is magnificent, words cannot adequately describe it - nor can pictures do it justice. The combination of the amazingly clear sky (due to high altitude and dry air), remoteness, quirkiness and stunning natural beauty makes it an ideal travel destination for those who want to see something extraordinary and don't mind roughing it up and giving up completely creature comforts. Also in this place of extreme harshness one can only be awed at the resilience of the wildlife - viscachas, vicunas, flamingos and other birds and animals have amazingly made this place their home despite the high altidude, and extremely cold temperature (-25C at night is not uncommon)
My visit encompassed the legendary Salar De Uyuni Circuit, a well known highlight in any South America travel itinerary. This is a journey through the south-west part of the country, where travellers can admire coloured lakes, mountain scenery, Dali-esque deserts and last but not least the Salar itself, a huge and imposive (10,000 squared km) white saltflat. This is definitely one of craziest road-trips you can ever embark upon.
* Admiring the different coloured lakes
* The weirdest beach in the world - overlooking a sea of salt
* taking crazy, perspective-less pictures on the Salar
* sleeping in a hotel made entirely of Salt
BBC's "Mountains" episode of the "Wild South America" Series has some fantastic footage of the region.
- Pros:stunningly beautiful sceneries
- Cons:the only viable way to see the area is via organised tour
- In a nutshell:Unmissable - should definitely be in any 10 things to do before I die list!
I started out this trip from San Pedro de Atacama in Chile. Similar trips can be organized from Bolivia of course, with... more travel advice
Try to find a tour operator that will take you to sleep in a Salt hotel for the night at the salar. These have small... more travel advice
SanguiniA's Related Pages
Uyuni Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Under the table in the Salar de Uyuni"
- "Uyuni Tour(3.650 m to 4.300m)"
- "Uyuni and Details for 4WD Tours North and South"
- "The Great Salar and Lagunas Tour"
- "EL SALAR DE UYUNI"
- "Uyuni and surrunding areas"
- "where tourists rules"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Uyuni
- Hotels in Uyuni
- Transportation in Uyuni
- Nightlife in Uyuni
- Restaurants in Uyuni
- Shopping in Uyuni
- Warnings and Dangers in Uyuni
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Uyuni
- 23 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Uyuni?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uyuni
Photos in UyuniSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 36 reviews, 83 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Etosha National Park Intro, 38 reviews, 76 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tanzania Intro, 38 reviews, 74 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ecuador Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 31 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Costa Rica Intro, 28 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Namibia Intro, 29 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sarawak Intro, 22 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sabah Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Romania Intro, 20 reviews, 57 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (42)
Latest Uyuni hotel reviews
- Hotel Takya de Sal
- 6 Reviews & Opinions