"Broome, Pearling History." Broome by australia2

Broome Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 374 photos

Colorful place.

September 24th. 2010. The sad news of the tragic death of irreplaceable Malcolm Douglas.
See Travelogue below with pics of our Crocodile Park visit. (2011) And now the video clip itself.
*****************************************

Feb 2011. Four Video clips available.
"Sleepy little town" tour courtesy TV CH. 9. Brekky prog long since passed.

*********************************

Broome, on our far north-west coast is one of the most colorful places in Australia, particularly with regard to a historic mixed race history. In a way a sort of sea set goldfields !
This open-air Sun Picture Theatre has a firm place in its history. It really must be experienced !
Of course it's all about pearling - but that's a long story and a very full, adventurous story. And it still has a "frontier" feel about it, but it is beautiful, tropical and organised - lazily. And there are/were dinasour footprints beside the sea in the rocks ! I have a pic to put up showing them ! Later.

...out OF the midday sun !

Yes It does gets pretty hot in Broome !
WWII saw some tragic events occur in the Broome harbour regarding Dutch families stopping over on their flying escape from the Dutch East Indies.Many lives were lost due to bombing in the harbour.
A museum now exists in town where this is all recorded. Annoyingly I missed it ! Remains of the wrecked flying boats lie on the harbour floor. They can be seen by a hovercraft tour at low tide. I also missed the Beach Evening Camel Rides.. Again, curses ! ..but I do get seasick, even on the desert ones ;-)

Georgeous Cable Beach.

This is really a place to enjoy. The setting is superb. I'm not sure why it is relatively safe to swim "unprotected", but we did and then laid out on the lawn not far from the (properly fenced) crocodile farm (?). I think that it's safe because there is no actual river outlet nearby. The Cable name, I believe was that the spot was the termination place for the undersea telecommunications cable to what is now Timor and Indonesia.
The cable house is placed now in a place of honour in the town gardens.
I have been advised that it is best not to refer to the actual normal temperature. But you really can fry eggs where the saying is !!??Yes Ann, you know - and thanks for the hints. See the results !

• Last visit to Broome: Apr 1995
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2011

• kiwi's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM

I've wanted to go to Broome since hearing a pioneer story on the radio years ago. We had a great visit to NT last month! Pam :-)

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2008 at 11:26 AM

I'll bet there's been some changes since you last visited! Thanks for sharing.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2005 at 6:47 AM

Hey Laurie, you forgot to mention spectacular Cable Beach & the gorgeous sunset camel rides :o) Psst, don't tell 'em about the heat...... haha :o) Cheers, Ann.

australia2