"Large tides at Derby.." Derby by australia2
Derby Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 26 photos
History tells of the days prior to triple-plus-semitrailer "Road Trains".
The port of Derby was one of the shipping outlet ports for the vast cattle runs in the Kimberley region. Pearling luggers had to cope with the huge tides too.
Northern W.A.'s long tides - amongst the longest in Australia and the world are due to the very wide contintintal shelf here. Quite fascinating to watch their effect.
Hardly,if ever used now they are nevertheless part the outback history.
One can almost hear the lowing of the cattle as they shuffle along the ramp towards us to the prodding and swearing of the cattle drovers.
It is very evocative.
Behind us is the loading wharf.
Yes Ann, it does return. And like time it waits for no person.
For me road touring is the only way to get the full feeling of our country. Our Lucky Country. But it takes patience and much time. The wonderful feeling of "arriving" after hours on the road is something very special.
Washing off/down the road dust is very nice.
- In a nutshell:Australian coastal outback at its best.
australia2's Related Pages
Derby Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Derby - heartland of the Kimberleys"
- "Large tides at Derby.."
- "A true outback Aussie town"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Derby
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Derby?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Derby
Videos in DerbySee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape York Intro, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bamaga Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Broome Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kalgoorlie Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mannheim Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maryborough Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue