"Hall's Gap." Halls Gap by australia2
Halls Gap Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 22 photos
The term The Grampians is, I think, more well known than the small, pretty town in it, Hall's Gap.
It was originally named so by the explorer, Major Mitchell. He being of Scottish origin, named the impressive mountain range after the one in his home country.
In recent times there was an endeavour by the well-meaning authorities, to rename it its Aboriginal name - which, I must confess, does not immediately come to my mind ! Home-work required.
I think the relevant government minister who tried the renaming was, himself, of Scottish origin. Something Freudian there perhaps.
That endeavour failed by public reaction and the name "The Grampians" is still in widespread, common use. The Scottish are stubborn. ??!!
(More info and pics to follow. See you then. )
australia2's Related Pages
Halls Gap Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Halls Gap"
- "The Grampion National Park"
- "The Gap"
- "Grampians National Park"
- "Hall's Gap."
- "Eszter's Halls Gap Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Halls Gap
- Hotels in Halls Gap
- Restaurants in Halls Gap
- Shopping in Halls Gap
- Warnings and Dangers in Halls Gap
- See All...
Explore the World
- Siquijor Island
- Mount Morris Hotels
- Widecombe in the Moor
- Mintaqat `Asir
- Rustenburg Hotels
- Hlavni Mesto Praha Hotels
- Rankin Inlet
- Dikili Hotels
- El Battan Hotels
- Breaux Bridge
- Stroudsburg Hotels
- Estado do Rio Grande do Sul
- Newmarket on Fergus
Badges & Stats in Halls Gap
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Halls Gap?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Halls Gap
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape York Intro, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bamaga Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Broome Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kalgoorlie Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mannheim Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maryborough Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue