"Port Augusta. Exciting." Port Augusta by australia2
Port Augusta Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 94 photos
For me Port Augusta, at the head of Spencer Gulf in South Australia, is a launching place. Coming from south or east, the traveller stands nervously at the Gateway to the real Australian Outback.
West to the Nullarbor Plain and beyond or north to Coober Pedy, Alice Springs etc.
In 1802 the coastline explorer/navigator, Matthew Flinders, an Englishman of course, experienced extreme disappointment here. He was, arguably, the most important man in Australia's history of exploration. Certainly from the maritime point of view. On his circumnavigation of Australia, the first such achievement, he sailed his ship, the 'Investigator' into Spencer Gulf from his charting and English naming of the Southern Ocean edge of the continent. He hoped to, at last, find the (non-existant but theorised) inland sea via this gulf. His ship was probably the first one just here.
He and his companions ended up hauling their cutter in river mud flats at this point and had to give up !
The nearby Flinders Ranges and Flinders Island remind us of his importance. He named the Island for his younger brother on board, Samuel.
History has it that Flinders was responsible for enthusiatically promoting the name 'Australia'.
His life ended tragically of sicknesses in London in 1814 at age 48. He had been improperly imprisoned by the Napoleonic French for five years at Mauritius. He called there for supplies as he was returning to England and to his wife, Ann. He was not aware that the war between England and France had re-commenced.
When he finally got back to England he had not seen Ann for seven years altogether.
The whole huge episode left him a destroyed man.
Ironically, the day he died, The Admirately published his mammoth work 'A Voyage to Terra Australis'.
A man of immense importance to the nation of Australia.
Overnight stay in Port Augusta and then Off west to Ceduna.
Inappropriately to the attractive aspects of Port Augusta is the fact
that it was in the local shopping centre that the 'outback murderer' Bradley Murdoch was cornered and arrested.
See my 'Barrow Creek' page for the horrifying story.
A click is all it takes - but come back again.
australia2's Related Pages
Port Augusta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "PORT AUGUSTA - CROSSROADS OF AUSTRALIA"
- "Port Augusta"
- "Where the “Outback Meets the Sea”"
- "Port Augusta Proud"
- "Port Augusta. Exciting."
- "Port Augusta - west or north"
- "Port Augusta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Augusta
- Hotels in Port Augusta
- Restaurants in Port Augusta
- Shopping in Port Augusta
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Augusta
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Port Augusta
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Port Augusta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Augusta
Top 10 Pages
- Melbourne Intro, 11 reviews, 44 photos, 6 travelogues
- Poland Intro, 4 reviews, 32 photos, 4 travelogues
- Cape York Intro, 25 photos, 4 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 1 review, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bamaga Intro, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Broome Intro, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kalgoorlie Intro, 12 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Mannheim Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maryborough Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue