"a place I would like to visit" Planina by halikowski
Planina Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
Here, three rivers meet, underground rivers typical of the Kras/ Carso : the Pivka, the Rak and the Malenska, which together flow on as the Pivka. Here, according to Eric Newby, there are watermeadows of extraordinary beauty, until the river finally sinks for what is the last time in its career beneath the Ljubljanski Mountain near Ljubljana.
Across the river from Planina standing on the edge of the forest from which the red deer come down into the park from the Javornik mountain is the Haasberg, a castle, a country-house really, of the Princes of Windisch-Graetz, a family reputed to have 99 castles in Austria- Hungary before 1914. The stones marking the border between Italy and Austro-Hungary after 1918 can be seen in the park behind the house.
The country-house was destroyed by Yugoslav partisans on 27th of March 1944. All equipment and artworks, Windischgratz family archive and tombs were completely destroyed. Pity.
halikowski's Related Pages
Planina Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Planina
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Planina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Planina
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Swansea Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zakopane Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos
- Vrisnik Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 18 reviews, 8 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Hvar Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos
- Bremen Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos