"Terra Banensium, Land of Mines." Banska Stiavnica by halikowski
Banska Stiavnica Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 74 photos
There are nice views down the steep-sided slope to the Mestky Archiv and the Uradny Dom. The view is otherwise across to Kalvaria, constructed at the apogee of the town's fortunes 1748-51, but now - and in spite of two restoration projects - badly damaged and derelict. Management consultants are sent by their company `Accenture' in Bratislava to spend their weekends helping the restoration work (first task is to clear an access road for vehicles)
A shepherd on the hillside observed a pair of lizards glistening with gold. When he saw them disappear underneath a rock, he overturned it, to find precious ore in the earth. These are the legendary origins of precious metal mining in the area. Actually while there are plenty of indicators of interest in metals from prehistoric times(see the collection in the Thurzo House, Banska Bystrica), mining only began as a concerted exercise from the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, when Banska Stiavnica was recognised as a `civitas' or town.
This legend explains why the lizard / salamander is the icon of the town.
A state archive branch, set up in 1974, with a large collection of maps and documents relating to the mining that went on here since the 13th century. A fine building, the archives are on the second floor. Headed by the very pleasant and competent Mgr. Elena Kasiarova, sometimes they organise exhibitions.
- Pros:a magic mountain, a world outside the world
- Cons:isolated, excessively sleepy
- In a nutshell:worth a shortish visit.
Situated on a beautiful nearby lake. Hotel has its own boats and shaded bay, great for swimming in the summer. Caters... more travel advice
A seventeenth-century Baroque statue commemorating the recovery of the town from a bad attack of plague. You can see... more travel advice
halikowski's Related Pages
Banska Stiavnica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Banska Stiavnica"
- "Terra Banensium, Land of Mines."
- "Interesting Stopover Location"
- "Little Bulgaria in the Slovak mountains"
- "Banksa Stiavnica by Chamsa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banska Stiavnica
- Hotels in Banska Stiavnica
- Restaurants in Banska Stiavnica
- Shopping in Banska Stiavnica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banska Stiavnica
- 16 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Banska Stiavnica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banska Stiavnica
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Budapest Intro, 24 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vrisnik Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Swansea Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zakopane Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Bremen Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Graz Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Hvar Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos