"unusual fish" Otok Korcula by halikowski
Otok Korcula Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 18 photos
In March 2006, some local fishermen from Lumbarda on Korcula found an unusual fish floating in local waters.
The fish was identified by an expert biologist as Trachipterus Trachypterus, which is very rare for Adriatic waters as this fish usually lives in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, as well as in Eastern Mediterranean.
The body of the fish is long, silver and flat, with distinctive dots on the side. The dorsal fin is bright pink and extends all the way to the tail. The fish was only 20 cm long but these species can grow up to 3 meters.
The interesting thing about it is that it lives usually at a depth of 500 m, so being close to the surface of the sea disorients the fish due to changes in light and water pressure.
halikowski's Related Pages
Otok Korcula Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Korcula - Blu d'ESTate"
- "Corcyra Nigra"
- "The Island of Korcula"
- "unusual fish"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Otok Korcula
- Hotels in Otok Korcula
- Transportation in Otok Korcula
- Nightlife in Otok Korcula
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Otok Korcula
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Otok Korcula?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Otok Korcula
Photos in Otok KorculaSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Vrisnik Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Budapest Intro, 20 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zakopane Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Swansea Intro, 9 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lisbon Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Bremen Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Hvar Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Graz Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos