"dreams for July 2010.. climbing the Grossglockner" Hohe Tauern by halikowski
Hohe Tauern Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 154 photos
You can appreciate the sharpness of the aretes here, as well as the summer crowds waiting to go down the dangerous snow bridge and up to the peak.
A friend went ski-mountaineering up GG a couple of years ago. Here are two of her photos. The first shows the southern approach (GG is on the left). They started at Spottling and stayed one night at the Studlhutte.
The trickiest part is shown here and is the last 100 metres to the summit. As you can see there is quite a drop on both sides and ropes are required on 2 occasions. There are no screws, chains or ladders, just a metal pole on which to attach your rope. Queues build up on this section which can be dangerous so we should make a very early start. It's not clear where there is snow and ice in summer but I think we should expect the whole of this last ridge to be snow and ice -covered
Good rope, harness, carabiners, ice axe and crampons needed. Comprehensive rope training also worthwhile.
- Pros:highest peak in Austria; demanding, but not as tough as some of the Swiss peaks
- Cons:are we too old to be risking our lives doing this?
halikowski's Related Pages
Hohe Tauern Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WONDERFUL NATIONAL PARK"
- "Glocknerstrasse - The "Queen of the Alpine Roads""
- "The Austrian Alps"
- "The top of Austria"
- "dreams for July 2010.. climbing the Grossglockner"
- "Hohe Tauern - our collection of visits"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hohe Tauern
- Hotels in Hohe Tauern
- Transportation in Hohe Tauern
- Warnings and Dangers in Hohe Tauern
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hohe Tauern
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Hohe Tauern?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hohe Tauern
Photos in Hohe TauernSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swansea Intro, 17 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zakopane Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos
- Vrisnik Intro, 18 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos
- Graz Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Hvar Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos