"A counterpoint to downtown Florence." Florence by halikowski
Florence Travel Guide: 5,300 reviews and 11,821 photos
Actually, besides the art, Florence is a dirty, overexpensive, tourist-crawling nightmare. What's really inspiring is the surrounding countryside. You can see what inspired the naturalism of those medieval painters. It's amazing to anyone coming from grey, urban northern Europe.
This is the house where I lived a good many years with very little money, but lots of wonderful experiences and strong characters.
Just follow the valley of the Mugnone north out of town, and you will see the hills rearing up.
It is not just the painters of the Quattrocento who were so inspired by the Tuscan landscape. 19th century north Europeans like the Polish artist Witkiewiecz were also clearly overwhelmed. This is a picture I particularly like, a view looking up at those Etruscan-loved `crete' from the fertile river valleys, here probably of the Val d'Elsa, just outside Florence in the Chianti region.
My friend Georg wanted something even more special than the Mugnone valley (see photo at top). So he moved out to the Mugello, rented a gardener's lodge on a rambling old 17th century estate, where he lives with his girlfriend. This is the view that greets him as he walks out every day, and which he turned into a postcard.
- Pros:good if you like art. Best at Christmas time.
- Cons:dirty, provincial, crawling with tourists
- In a nutshell:get out into the countryside. It's amazing!
Take the #7 bus to Piazza Mino, Fiesole, and walk through the back-streets of this hilltop town on to the Monte Ceceri.... more travel advice
Where they used to march soldiers right through to the nineteenth century (Champ de Mars), a large green space in the... more travel advice
halikowski's Related Pages
Florence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FIRENZE - FLORENCE"
- "My Relationship With Firenze"
- "weekends in Florence"
- "Firenze -Florence - Florenz - Florencia"
- "Breathtaking Florence!"
- "Fourth time round....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Florence
- Hotels in Florence
- Transportation in Florence
- Nightlife in Florence
- Restaurants in Florence
- Shopping in Florence
- Warnings and Dangers in Florence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Florence
- 26 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Florence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Florence
Photos in FlorenceSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Swansea Intro, 20 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florence Intro, 26 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Budapest Intro, 31 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vrisnik Intro, 19 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zakopane Intro, 19 reviews, 24 photos
- Brussels Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos
- Graz Intro, 14 reviews, 10 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Hvar Intro, 9 reviews, 11 photos