"Matarea, site of the flight of the Holy Family" Al Matariyah by halikowski
Al Matariyah Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 41 photos
Actually, I have written an article about this place, published in the Mediterranean History Review. In the Middle Ages, this small garden was so famous that all Christian pilgrims on what Wade Labarge has called the longer pilgrimage route stopped to visit. And not just Christians, Muslim travellers from as far away as Iran came too.
The religious myth is very important, even if only apocryphal. What was also important is that Matarea was home to the balsam, a very rare and expensive oleo-resin that appears in the earliest botanicals in the West, and was key to the western liturgy but also medicine. The Sultan controlled export, and the difficulties in obtaining this product meant that balsam was shrouded in myth and marvel.
Bernardino Amico da Gallipoli's drawing of the Matarea complex, 16th century.
halikowski's Related Pages
Al Matariyah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Holy Family journey in Egypt: Al Matariyah"
- "Matarea, site of the flight of the Holy Family"
- "The Obelisk of Ancient Heliopolis"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Matariyah
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Al Matariyah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Matariyah
- Posted in Travel South Korea Forum "Re: name for chili pepper in Korea"
- Wrote a Review heed the warnings of 5th century pilgrims! in Al Matariyah Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Matarea, site of the flight of the Holy Family"
- created a Al Matariyah Travel Page "Matarea, site of the flight of the Holy Family"
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 24 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banska Stiavnica Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos
- Budapest Intro, 24 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Vrisnik Intro, 16 reviews, 19 photos
- Swansea Intro, 11 reviews, 22 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zakopane Intro, 14 reviews, 18 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Bremen Intro, 13 reviews, 7 photos
- Graz Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Hvar Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos