"Burlington - The Perfect Little City on the Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Burlington by sarahandgareth
Burlington Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 224 photos
Burlington is Vermont's largest town, and it's probably best-known as the home of the University of Vermont (UVM), which has a big campus to the east of downtown. West of downtown there's not much at all, since that's where Lake Champlain begins - and on the other side of the lake, you're in New York.
Burlington is a great spot for a weekend visit, since it's very manageable in size and offers such a diversity of things to do: boating on the lake, biking and running along their wonderful bike path, exploring other nearby small towns (like Middlebury, another place that hosts its share of college students), or visiting dairy-themed businesses like Cabot creamery and Ben and Jerry's! The rural connection is never far away up in this part of the US: there's also an important folk museum nearby, and just as the winter is waning this is a great place to see maple syrup being made.
One of the most appealing things about the town is how easy it is to get around the central area: there's no need at all for a car, and there are plenty of buses to places like the college campus so you can feel quite environmentally virtuous; it seems quite appropriate to keep a green state green!
Burlington is about 3.5 hours from Boston, and under 2 from Montreal, and and with so many places to stop off along the way it's really ideally suited for weekend stays, especially if you can get out of work early in the day and perhaps indulge in a hike or bike ride on the way up to break up the trip a little (it's 6 hours from New York City, more of a trek but well suited to a long weekend out of state!).
- Pros:Great variety of food, culture and outdoor options
- Cons:A bit quiet when school is not in session
- In a nutshell:Well worth a weekend adventure!
Ben and Jerry's factory isn't right in Burlington, but it's a very quick drive from town. The factory is one of the... more travel advice
The heart of Burlington, Church Street, is a three block, pedestrianized shopping and eating district. Shopping options... more travel advice
sarahandgareth's Related Pages
Burlington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burlington, Vermont"
- "Welcome to Beautiful Vermont"
- "Burlington, VT"
- "Burlington - The Perfect Little City on the Lake"
- "Burlington Vermont"
- "A Winters Day at the Beach"
- "thoughts on burlington"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burlington
- Hotels in Burlington
- Transportation in Burlington
- Nightlife in Burlington
- Restaurants in Burlington
- Shopping in Burlington
- Warnings and Dangers in Burlington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burlington
- 13 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Burlington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burlington
Photos in BurlingtonSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 33 photos
- Boston Intro, 51 reviews, 30 photos
- Dublin Intro, 38 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 37 reviews, 17 photos
- Seattle Intro, 27 reviews, 20 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 24 reviews, 19 photos
- Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 23 reviews, 7 photos
- Bethlehem Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos
Latest Burlington hotel reviews
- Hilton Burlington Hotel
- 349 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Courtyard By Marriott Burlington Harbor
- 397 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Bel Aire Motel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 19, 2013
- North Beach Campground
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 6, 2013
- Doubletree Hotel Burlington
- 362 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Candlewood Suites Boston Burlington
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Sheraton Burlington Hotel and Conference Center
- 573 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Lang House
- 140 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013