"The Big Apple" New York City by sarahandgareth
New York City Travel Guide: 15,768 reviews and 31,642 photos
More by accident than by any sort of planning, we had the opportunity to live in New York City for six months in 2002. Gareth was offered a temporary position at the Irish Mission to the UN. Although neither one of us had ever really considered moving to New York before, there was no way we could turn down this chance. So, in January of 2002 we packed our bags, left our car and hiking boots in storage, and caught the bus to New York.
We both agree that could not live in New York long term, we enjoy open spaces and our garden too much for that, but we loved it while we were there and took advantage of every opportunity to get out and see the city. The very fact that we knew the situation was temporary kept inspiring us to really explore the city rather than taking it for granted the way we might have if our move had been more long term.
Now that we are living in the Boston area we try to make regular trips to New York to revisit our old haunts and find new secrets in this never sleeping city.
- Pros:Tons of things to do, people to watch, restaurants to try and place to wander."
- Cons:Busy, busy, busy.
- In a nutshell:Never a dull moment!
In among it all the hustle of Time Square, visitors are likely to find the Naked Cowboy making his living. He’s not... more travel advice
These days, Grand Central’s importance is as much symbolic as real: despite only being a commuter station now, it still... more travel advice
- See All A Russian extravaganza
- Funky Flatiron pad
- See All New York By Train - Penn Station
- See All Brooklyn's 'Central Park'
- See All Running around the city
- See All Mall shopping without the Mall
sarahandgareth's Related Pages
New York City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A NYC GYPSY AT HEART"
- "NYC: Everyday, Something new."
- "I Heart New York."
- ""I want to be a part of it ...""
- ". : New York City : ."
- "New York City"
- "Oh, how I want to be a part of it!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New York City
- Hotels in New York City
- Transportation in New York City
- Nightlife in New York City
- Restaurants in New York City
- Shopping in New York City
- Warnings and Dangers in New York City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New York City
- 64 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to New York City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New York City
- Posted in Travel Fiji Forum "Re: octopus resort bad reviews?"
- updated a New York City Travel Page "The Big Apple"
- Commented on one of Beth75NJ's New York City travel pages
- Wrote a Review Nudity in Times Square - The Naked Cowboy! about Street Performers in New York City Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Asia on the Lower East Side"
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 33 photos
- Boston Intro, 51 reviews, 30 photos
- Dublin Intro, 38 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 37 reviews, 17 photos
- Seattle Intro, 27 reviews, 20 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 24 reviews, 19 photos
- Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 23 reviews, 7 photos
- Bethlehem Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos