"Cambridge: The other side of the Charles" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge by sarahandgareth

Cambridge Travel Guide: 336 reviews and 652 photos

Cambridge

Like the majority of visitors, we started our explorations of Cambridge in Harvard Square - with Harvard University, lots of nightlife and abundant dining opportunities, it hardly made sense to start elsewhere. Now, we are in the process of expanding our knowledge of Cambridge by working our way out from that starting place.

Much of the city of Cambridge seems to be built around a series of squares. (The term 'square' being applied liberally to any intersection of roads thought to be worth visiting!) Venturing away from the best known square, Harvard, you will likely end up near Kendall, Central, and/or Porter Squares. Each area has its distinct character and all of them have convenient T access making exporation both worthwhile and easy.

Kendall is MIT-land. What isn't part of the university is filled with sleek science-company offices. Although, this part of Cambridge is earily quiet in the evenings and on weekends, it has a few interesting eateries, a great independent cinema, and a variety of shopping options.

Central Square is grungier, with more than its share of street characters, but also contains some of the funkiest stores in Cambridge as well as a number of good restaraunts.

Harvard Square is tourist central, of course, but there are also plenty of interesting museums, stores and restaurants within walking distance. Like Central Square, Harvard Square (especially near the T-stop) is also a gathering point for some alternative types.

Porter is more of a typical suburban square, with supermarkets and brand-name stores, but it's also the heart of Cambridge's Little Asia. The Asian influence is obvious, in the best possible ways, in the eating places nearby.

• Intro Updated Oct 26, 2007

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 11:49 PM

nice, would love a stop at Bukowski tavern.

• May 16, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Great stuff that gives me some new places to visit on my July trip to Cambridge. And thanks for bringing back memories of the the old watering holes I enjoyed during the 60s-70s. Enjoy the neighborhoods as I did.

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2006 at 8:26 AM

I stayed in Cambridge when I visited Boston, unfortunately did not see much, cos I went to the city every day... only thing I remember from there is a pub called Whitney's... Great page!!

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2005 at 12:58 PM

Great tips! I think we are close neighbors.

• rwlittle's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2005 at 6:20 PM

Used to live around the corner from Christina's...definitely great ice cream!

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2004 at 3:48 AM

Great tips and pics. Could smell the books at Harvard Bookstore. Hhhhmmm...books! Thanks!

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2003 at 1:34 PM

Nice start, good restaurant reviews.... so where is this theatre really??

sarahandgareth Visits Here Frequently!

sarahandgareth

“So much to see, so little time...”

Badges & Stats in Cambridge

Have you been to Cambridge?

Friends