"Cambridge: The other side of the Charles" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge by sarahandgareth
Cambridge Travel Guide: 333 reviews and 642 photos
Like the majority of visitors, we started our explorations of Cambridge in Harvard Square - with Harvard University, lots of nightlife and abundant dining opportunities, it hardly made sense to start elsewhere. Now, we are in the process of expanding our knowledge of Cambridge by working our way out from that starting place.
Much of the city of Cambridge seems to be built around a series of squares. (The term 'square' being applied liberally to any intersection of roads thought to be worth visiting!) Venturing away from the best known square, Harvard, you will likely end up near Kendall, Central, and/or Porter Squares. Each area has its distinct character and all of them have convenient T access making exporation both worthwhile and easy.
Kendall is MIT-land. What isn't part of the university is filled with sleek science-company offices. Although, this part of Cambridge is earily quiet in the evenings and on weekends, it has a few interesting eateries, a great independent cinema, and a variety of shopping options.
Central Square is grungier, with more than its share of street characters, but also contains some of the funkiest stores in Cambridge as well as a number of good restaraunts.
Harvard Square is tourist central, of course, but there are also plenty of interesting museums, stores and restaurants within walking distance. Like Central Square, Harvard Square (especially near the T-stop) is also a gathering point for some alternative types.
Porter is more of a typical suburban square, with supermarkets and brand-name stores, but it's also the heart of Cambridge's Little Asia. The Asian influence is obvious, in the best possible ways, in the eating places nearby.
We first noticed Oxford Spa when we were out running. It was in such an unexpected residential location and looked so... more travel advice
Between MIT and all the businesses in the area, you will find that Kendall Square is significantly more lively during... more travel advice
sarahandgareth's Related Pages
Cambridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Missing Cambridge..."
- "You go for Harvard, you stay for Cambridge!"
- "Cambridge: The other side of the Charles"
- "Go with the Red"
- "Harvard and much more"
- "People's Republik of Cambridge"
- "The centre of (intellectual) power"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridge
- Hotels in Cambridge
- Transportation in Cambridge
- Nightlife in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Shopping in Cambridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridge
- 37 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Cambridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridge
- Posted in Travel Fiji Forum "Re: octopus resort bad reviews?"
- Wrote a Review Locally Grown Food with a Middle Eastern Flair in Cambridge Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Arthouse movies in multiplex style"
- updated a Cambridge Travel Page "Cambridge: The other side of the Charles"
- Commented on one of heywinks's Cambridge travel pages
Photos in CambridgeSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 33 photos
- Boston Intro, 51 reviews, 30 photos
- Dublin Intro, 38 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 37 reviews, 17 photos
- Seattle Intro, 27 reviews, 20 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 24 reviews, 19 photos
- Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 23 reviews, 7 photos
- Bethlehem Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos