"Akureyri" Top 5 Page for this destination Akureyri by sarahandgareth
Akureyri Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 371 photos
Although a majority of Icelanders live in and around Reykjavik, we wanted to make sure we got out of the capitol city during out trip to Iceland. We didn't have enough time to drive the entire Ring Road, so we began looking for a place we could reach in under a day's drive. We considered driving south, but were intrigued by Akureyri.
Iceland's northernmost major city, Akureyri claimed to have a surprisingly mild climate. The weather is generally warmer and sunnier than towns further south even though it is just a short ferry ride from the Artic Circle!
We were not disappointed! Akureyri is a wonderful place to visit. It a very manageable size, but still has a couple fantastic museum, interesting shopping, and plenty of dining options. Plus, we were able to find a fantastic hike and take a day trip to Lake Myvatn, which turned out to be the highlight of our Iceland visit!
Like Hallgrimskirkja in Reykjavik, Akureyri's church dominates the urban landscape, since it, too, sits on an elevation... more travel advice
Mt Sulúr towers over Akureyri, and it's a perfect day hike, easy to reach from town (especially if you have a car), yet... more travel advice
sarahandgareth's Related Pages
Akureyri Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "AKUREYRI - THE CAPITAL OF THE NORTH."
- "The Cornfield on the Sand Bar"
- "A City Surrounded By Fjords !"
- "Akureyri - random pictures."
- "Akureyri as I saw it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Akureyri
- Hotels in Akureyri
- Transportation in Akureyri
- Nightlife in Akureyri
- Restaurants in Akureyri
- Shopping in Akureyri
- Warnings and Dangers in Akureyri
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Akureyri
- 8 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Akureyri?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Akureyri
Top 10 Pages
- New York City Intro, 64 reviews, 33 photos
- Boston Intro, 51 reviews, 30 photos
- Dublin Intro, 38 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambridge Intro, 37 reviews, 17 photos
- Seattle Intro, 27 reviews, 20 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 24 reviews, 19 photos
- Kilimanjaro National Park Intro, 19 reviews, 17 photos
- Berlin Intro, 22 reviews, 10 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Somerville Intro, 23 reviews, 7 photos
- Bethlehem Intro, 19 reviews, 8 photos