"Kefalonia: an island of contrasts" Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island by chazgilbert
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 316 photos
Kefalonia (or Cefalonia, Kefallinia, Kephalonia... there are so many ways of spelling the island's name) is the largest of the Ionian islands, and is one of stark contrasts.
The island has had a turbulent recent history - from being occupied by Italian and German forces during the Second World War (which gave rise to Louis de Bernieres novel, Captain Corelli's Mandolin) to the devastating 1953 earthquake.
The contrasts begin with the make-up of the island. Unlike other Ionian islands, there are real towns as well as resorts. It's fair to say the resorts get a fairly bad press. I stayed in Lassi, five minutes drive away from the capital, Argostoli. Granted, it's purpose-built and full of holiday-makers. But it's also full of independent, family-run tavernas, which serve some of the best food on the island. Lassi is also home to a selection of some of Kefalonia's best beaches.
The main towns, including the capital, were destroyed by the '53 earthquake. Fiscardo, in the far north, is the exception. Don't expect to see much Greek architecture here though - all buildings are Venetian. The capital, by and large, is nothing to write home about. The harbour front is attractive, as is the main square. The atmosphere in Argostoli in the evenings is its main draw - find a bar, order an Amstel, and watch the world go by.
Good beaches are easy to find. The famous Myrtos Bay is half-an-hour from Argostoli, and is pretty spectacular. Lassi is home to five or six excellent beaches - my favourite being Makris Gialos, or 'long beach'.
Kefalonia is easily reached from the UK, and is approxiamtely a three-hour flight from Gatwick
- Pros:The beaches, the people, the landscape.
- Cons:Il Gabiano Bar, Lassi. Plays the same song over and over and over...
- In a nutshell:Sirtaki Garden, Lassi, after dinner. Paradise.
Beer is pretty big across Kefalonia - mainly down to a healthy tourist industry. The most popular are Amstel (which... more travel advice
If you go on a package holiday to Kefalonia, chances are you'll end up staying in Lassi. Lassi is a purpose-built... more travel advice
- See All The sun
- See All Just about Authentic
- See All Kefalonian Food
- Argostoli's main night spot
chazgilbert's Related Pages
Cefalonia Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Captain Corelli and a lot more!"
- "Cefalonia, the sheep head shaped island."
- "Packed It, Booked It, Flew Off"
- "Kefalonia: an island of contrasts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cefalonia Island
- Hotels in Cefalonia Island
- Transportation in Cefalonia Island
- Nightlife in Cefalonia Island
- Restaurants in Cefalonia Island
- Shopping in Cefalonia Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cefalonia Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cefalonia Island
- 32 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Cefalonia Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cefalonia Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cefalonia Island Intro, 32 reviews, 63 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skiathos Island Intro, 26 reviews, 26 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Minorca Island Intro, 13 reviews, 37 photos
- London Intro, 14 reviews, 26 photos
- Kathmandu Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Mumbai Intro, 3 reviews, 5 photos
- Pokhara Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- India Intro, 3 photos
- Nepal 1 review, 1 photo
- Patan 1 review, 1 photo