"Living On The Edge" Mesa Verde National Park by mht_in_la
Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide: 244 reviews and 633 photos
While most U.S. National Parks are proud of their natural wonders, I'm intrigued by the National Parks that represent values of human culture and history. Mesa Verde is one of those. It covers roughly 700 years of Anasazi history, from A.D. 600 to A.D. 1300. The cliff dwellings most people come here to see are concentrated in the last 100 years of their occupation at Mesa Verde. Then, in the late 1200's, the nomadic Anasazi moved away and left their Mesa Verde home behind. The reasons they left remain a mystery in history.
Also, according to a Park brochure, the Navajo word "Anasazi", long used to refer to the early people of Mesa Verde, is no longer favored. The term now preferred is "Ancestral Puebloan", indicating these people were the ancestors of the modern Pueblo people of the Southwest.
Contrary to the cliff dwellings visitors come to Mesa Verde to see, the Sun Temple was completely above ground. It's... more travel advice
The photo shows a "kiva" in early Pueblo ruins. A kiva is a ceremonial room, usually underground, for important social... more travel advice
mht_in_la's Related Pages
Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hidden Castles in Cliffs"
- "Basaic Mesa Verde National Park Page"
- "They're Not Messing Around at Mesa Verde"
- "Refuge in a hostile world"
- "Amazing Mesa Verde National Park"
- "The basketmakers"
- "Best Concentration of Cliff Dwellings in the U.S."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mesa Verde National Park
- Hotels in Mesa Verde National Park
- Transportation in Mesa Verde National Park
- Nightlife in Mesa Verde National Park
- Restaurants in Mesa Verde National Park
- Shopping in Mesa Verde National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Mesa Verde National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mesa Verde National Park
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Mesa Verde National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mesa Verde National Park
Photos in Mesa Verde National ParkSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 80 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 75 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 67 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 45 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santa Catalina Island Intro, 39 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 41 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arches National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jasper National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues