"Living On The Edge" Mesa Verde National Park by mht_in_la

Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide: 229 reviews and 547 photos

While most U.S. National Parks are proud of their natural wonders, I'm intrigued by the National Parks that represent values of human culture and history. Mesa Verde is one of those. It covers roughly 700 years of Anasazi history, from A.D. 600 to A.D. 1300. The cliff dwellings most people come here to see are concentrated in the last 100 years of their occupation at Mesa Verde. Then, in the late 1200's, the nomadic Anasazi moved away and left their Mesa Verde home behind. The reasons they left remain a mystery in history.

Also, according to a Park brochure, the Navajo word "Anasazi", long used to refer to the early people of Mesa Verde, is no longer favored. The term now preferred is "Ancestral Puebloan", indicating these people were the ancestors of the modern Pueblo people of the Southwest.

• Last visit to Mesa Verde National Park: Apr 2001
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2003

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Great page with good tips and photos. Have you seen Montezuma Castle National Monument or the Kinishba Ruins in Arizona?

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 6:57 AM

This place fascinated me. We visited in winter, thick snow everywhere, so could only look across the canyon from the visitors centre. It looked so beautiful and so mysterious. leyle

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2005 at 8:18 PM

Your page here has it all . You demonstrate a great deal of respect for both the National Parks and what they were meant to repreent and preserve for our nation. I will read many more of your pages before I visit the parks. Wayne

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2004 at 1:00 PM

Interesting page. I may be visiting this park in the not-too-distant future. Thanks for sharing!

• jodssmile's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 8:18 PM

Thanks for sharing Mesa Verde pics. I forgot how incredible it looked. I carried a 2 year on a backpack straight up those crazy ladders up Cliff Palace (almost gave his grandma a heartattack when she saw pics of him going up that way).Thxs!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2004 at 5:48 PM

Fascinating stuff. We love the National Parks and are glad to see you building tips on so many of them. We'll be back to visit more of your pages.

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2004 at 3:28 PM

Great page; thanks for the good info. I hope to visit Mesa this summer and you tips are so useful.

• MarvintheMartian's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2004 at 9:34 AM

I've enjoyed your National Parks tips - thanks!

• caffeine_induced78's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2003 at 10:41 PM

Very nice page and great pictures. I love you travel priorities.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2003 at 2:44 AM

I had wanted to visit for quite some time now, but haven't got to it. Great write-up! How long does it take to do a 100 feet of vertical ladder climbing?

mht_in_la

“Make your mark on the world”

Badges & Stats in Mesa Verde National Park

Have you been to Mesa Verde National Park?

Latest Activity in Mesa Verde National Park