"Yo-see-mighty National Park" Yosemite National Park by mht_in_la
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide: 1,513 reviews and 3,515 photos
Update (7/5/2005): 4th of July weekend I visited Yosemite again and collected 3 domes this time -- Sentinel Dome (6/30), Half Dome (7/1), and Lambert Dome (7/2). See my travelogue for Half Dome hike photos.
Update (1/21/2004): Just came back from Yosemite last weekend. The wintry scenery was really something else, quite different from that in the summer. I'll try to post the new photos when I have a chance.
Yosemite is an all-season park. Each season has a distinct flavor. I have visited Yosemite 4 times in the past few years --
Each time I come here I find something new. No wonder Yosemite draws artists and photographers from all over the world to reside here year-round seeking inspiration.
Yosemite National Park is all mighty. In the photo to the right I summarized its unparalleled beauty by framing the two icons, Yosemite Falls and Half Dome, into one single picture. But Yosemite is more than just icons. It's full of natural wonders and rich in human history. One way to look at Yosemite is by its clusters of attractions...
1. The Valley -- this is the heart of Yosemite with the highest concentration of waterfalls, domes, and of course, tourists.
2. Wawona area -- near the south entrance you'll find Mariposa Grove, Pioneer Center, the historic Wawona Hotel, etc.
3. Tioga Road -- open only part of the year, its roadside attractions include the Luolumne Meadow, Tenaya Lake, etc.
Yosemite is also important to America's national park system. In 1903, Muir accompanied Roosevelt, then the President, to a 3-day camping trip in Yosemite. The night they camped at the valley meadow, they had a long discussion and Muir expressed his vision for the country's National Park system. Through Roosevelt's personal attention to Yosemite and the efforts of Muir and the Sierra Club, finally in 1906 the U.S. government established 5 national parks, 23 national monuments, and 148 millions acres of national forests. It all started here in Yosemite.
I've been to Yosemite several times, but only saw coyotes in the winter. Perhaps in winter food doesn't come by easy, so... more travel advice
At the Yosemite Village, right next to the Visotor Center, is the Yosemite Museum. Many artifacts from Yosemite's first... more travel advice
mht_in_la's Related Pages
Yosemite National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Incomparable Valley (and Park)"
- "Yosemite in a day"
- "On Becoming Part of the Food Chain: Yosemite"
- "Yosemite National Park"
- "Yosemite is Perhaps the Prettiest Park in the USA"
- "The Glacial Beauty of Yosemite National Park"
- "As Good As It Gets"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yosemite National Park
- Hotels in Yosemite National Park
- Transportation in Yosemite National Park
- Nightlife in Yosemite National Park
- Restaurants in Yosemite National Park
- Shopping in Yosemite National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Yosemite National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yosemite National Park
- 45 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Yosemite National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yosemite National Park
Photos in Yosemite National ParkSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 80 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 75 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 67 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 45 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santa Catalina Island Intro, 39 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 41 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arches National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jasper National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues