"The Accidental Sea" Salton Sea Beach by mht_in_la
Salton Sea Beach Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 14 photos
Salton Sea was a mistake.
35 miles long and 15 miles wide, it's hard to imagine California's largest surface water body was formed only 100 years ago by human mistake and natural disaster. In the late 1800's the whole Salton Basin (it was dry at the time) was being mined for salt. Also a complex system of canals were developed to bring in water from the Colorado River to irrigate the furtile Imperial Valley.
Then in 1905, the mighty Colorado River went on a rampage. Its floodwater overflew the banks and rushed into the Salton Basin through the newly constructed canal systems. Effort was made trying to block the flood but the mistake was too huge to stop. After 16 months of injection a sea was formed and stablized as we know it today.
Salton Sea has been shrinking since it was formed 100 years ago. This is the result of a natural process -- evaporation... more travel advice
mht_in_la's Related Pages
Salton Sea Beach Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Accidental Sea"
- "Salton Sea Otherworldly"
- "Post Apocalyptic Weirdness"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salton Sea Beach
- Transportation in Salton Sea Beach
- Warnings and Dangers in Salton Sea Beach
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salton Sea Beach
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Salton Sea Beach?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salton Sea Beach
Photos in Salton Sea BeachSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Las Vegas Intro, 80 reviews, 105 photos, 3 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 75 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 67 reviews, 92 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 63 reviews, 70 photos, 1 travelogue
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 45 reviews, 81 photos, 5 travelogues
- Santa Catalina Island Intro, 39 reviews, 80 photos, 5 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 41 reviews, 59 photos, 2 travelogues
- Arches National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jasper National Park Intro, 28 reviews, 38 photos, 1 travelogue
- Banff National Park Intro, 23 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues