"A Trip Down Memory Lane" Colwyn Bay by Emmjai

Colwyn Bay Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 13 photos

The Pier

My daughter and I went to Colwyn Bay as an 'end of holiday' treat. My grandparents had lived there when I was small, but I hadn't been back since I was 5 years old.
We went on the train, and quickly found the beach and pier. The tide was in, but we went for a walk on the pier. This is even more run down than I remember! I have always remembered that you could see the sea through the spaces between the planks on the pier. It always made me nervous as a child, and I am sure those gaps have gotten bigger since then!

Eirias Park

Because the beach was not accessible, we wondered along the promanade. I recalled a big park that I had loved as a child, and hoped to find it to show it to my own daughter. I particularly remembered the boating lake.
We soon found the park, with the boating lake, but alas no boats available to hire (though they were still there).
The park was a big success with my daughter, with lots of swings and other apparatus to play upon, while I stood and watched the world go by. The people mostly comprised grandparents and their grandchildren, everyone enjoying the simple things in life

Beach

Back then to the beach, watching the seagulls on the water break, and my daughter digging happily in the sand. it was a lovely day out, no theme park or roller coasters, no musick or other gimicks, just quitet, 'old fashioned' entertainment. The place hardly seemed to have changed a bit in the nearly 40 years since I last visited. Even the staff at the Kiosk on the promanade where we bought the bucket and spade and hot tea seemed caught in the time warp, they were friendly and kind.

• Pros:Quite, relaxing and peaceful
  • Cons:Town centre is a bit tatty
  • In a nutshell:An old fashioned seaside town
  • Last visit to Colwyn Bay: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated May 30, 2003

Emmjai

“Life's an adventure”

Badges & Stats in Colwyn Bay

Have you been to Colwyn Bay?

Latest Activity in Colwyn Bay