"A Peaceful Mountain Top" Avoriaz by Emmjai
Avoriaz Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 27 photos
We first visited Avoriaz in the summer of 2002, and were fascinated by this car free ghost town. We thought it would be fun to see what it was like in Winter, its peak time. So in January 2005 we got the opportunity.
A 'modern' ski resort, build over the last 40 years. Not a 'quaint' alpine village, but a well designed small town with striking architecture.
After a 2 hour drive from Geneva AIrport, ( the last 20 minutes a relentless climb upwards through snow), until we arrived in Avoriaz. The Taxi unloaded us and our luggage, at the furtherest point into the village that cars are allowed, and we transfered to a One Horse Open sleigh to our home for the next week.
A large ski area, with a 'ski-in ski out'- holiday base, suberb food, sun, great snow, views and fascinating architecture makes this a great place for a ski holiday. The biggest drawback is that most of the accomadation is self catering. I certainly prefer to be looked after when on my holidays, especially after such an energetic day as happens when you go sking.
- Pros:Car free
- Cons:Most of the accomadation is self catering apartments
- In a nutshell:On top of the world
Emmjai's Related Pages
Avoriaz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Avoriaz 2003"
- "A Peaceful Mountain Top"
- "Boarding in the French Alps"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Avoriaz
- Hotels in Avoriaz
- Transportation in Avoriaz
- Nightlife in Avoriaz
- Restaurants in Avoriaz
- Warnings and Dangers in Avoriaz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Avoriaz
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Avoriaz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Avoriaz
Photos in AvoriazSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 14 reviews, 36 photos, 3 travelogues
- Oslo Intro, 16 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Las Vegas Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 17 reviews, 16 photos
- Edinburgh Intro, 15 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lourdes Intro, 16 reviews, 15 photos
- Venice Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos
- Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos, 2 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Sweden Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos