"A Peaceful Mountain Top" Avoriaz by Emmjai

Avoriaz Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 29 photos

We first visited Avoriaz in the summer of 2002, and were fascinated by this car free ghost town. We thought it would be fun to see what it was like in Winter, its peak time. So in January 2005 we got the opportunity.

A 'modern' ski resort, build over the last 40 years. Not a 'quaint' alpine village, but a well designed small town with striking architecture.

After a 2 hour drive from Geneva AIrport, ( the last 20 minutes a relentless climb upwards through snow), until we arrived in Avoriaz. The Taxi unloaded us and our luggage, at the furtherest point into the village that cars are allowed, and we transfered to a One Horse Open sleigh to our home for the next week.

A large ski area, with a 'ski-in ski out'- holiday base, suberb food, sun, great snow, views and fascinating architecture makes this a great place for a ski holiday. The biggest drawback is that most of the accomadation is self catering. I certainly prefer to be looked after when on my holidays, especially after such an energetic day as happens when you go sking.

• Pros:Car free
  • Cons:Most of the accomadation is self catering apartments
  • In a nutshell:On top of the world
  • Last visit to Avoriaz: Jan 2005
  • Intro Written Jan 28, 2005

• Djinn76's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2005 at 2:20 AM

Either I have been particularly lucky when I was there or you haven't got that much snow... too bad for this time! Hopefully you'll get some more next time ;)

• CPCMole's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 3:00 AM

Brilliant image for a photo caption competition! I think it is a resort very much orientated to families with kids (hence no cars and mainly self catering). Am going with mine for a second time as we enjoyed it so much 2 years ago.

Emmjai

“Life's an adventure”

Badges & Stats in Avoriaz

Have you been to Avoriaz?

Latest Activity in Avoriaz